20.09 Release Retrospective

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to record last moment (obs was working tuesday, but was grumpy today).

20.09 Retro Action Items

• Release process RFC, changing to YY.05 and YY.11 schedule @jonringer
  • Change branch-off convention @jonringer
    • 2 week prior to branch-off, ZHF on master?
  • Include documentation on release process to get hydra permissions
    • creation of jobset or reserve someone ahead-of-time to be available
  • Also support previously support release notes. cc @garbas
    • We only carry two currently: Unstable and latest release
    • Should be Unstable, release-beta, release during ZHF
    • Should be Unstable, new release, old release until old release is EOL
  • Potential bot to delcare changelog source, and other review materials
    • A lot of this information can be extracted from the expressions, would be nice to easy reviews.
    • For example, nixpkgs-update does this in the initial PR post, but it’s largely not done for other PRs
  • Additional documentation around conducing reviews of PRs @jonringer

Thanks to those who participated:
@aanderse
@ryantm
@Kiwi
@NobbZ
@redvers

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m saying that it should list ones which are still “current”, which would be 3 beginning with ZHF and until the previous release is EOL. For example, 20.03 is still support until a month after 20.09 has been release, but there’s no way to access the manual through the website

And the search on the other hand site at search.nixos.org still reaches back to 19.09.

I didn’t realize how much you wrote for the rfc (I had very little desire to do any writing lately).

Thanks!

I’m going to break this out into two different RFCs, much like avoiding large PRs, avoiding large RFCs will help them separate concerns and get merged or closed faster

1 Like

RFC for changing release months: [RFC 0080] Change NixOS releases to YY.05,YY.11 by jonringer · Pull Request #80 · NixOS/rfcs · GitHub

1 Like

2nd RFC regarding how ZHF is conducted [RFC 0085] NixOS Release Stabilization: ZHF on master, new timeline by jonringer · Pull Request #85 · NixOS/rfcs · GitHub

EDIT: ZHS → ZHF

3 Likes