Backporting haskellPackages

I’d like to backport a bugfix in a haskell package to the stable channel. More precisely, I need to bump the version of haskellPackages.asn1-types to 0.3.4

While for the haskell-update channel the hackage-packages.nix file is regenerated regularly, I don’t know how the stable channel is treated.

If the hackage-packages.nix file was never autogenerated again on the stable channel, I could just edit that as a dirty fix.
If not, is adding a version preference to configuration-hackage2nix.yaml and then regenerating the package set the correct way?

/cc @peti

I do not think Haskell infrastructure is supported outside of unstable/master. /pkgs/development/haskell-modules/hackage-packages.nix@ release-19.09 (commits) supports that.

1 Like

The reason I am not going on master with my project is that currently the haskell infrastructure there is broken worse than on release-20.03.

Should I read that as “we do not do any backports” or “we won’t autogenerate anything, so just do the dirty edit of hackage-packages.nix”?

Looking at the directory, we definitely do no autogenerate (though if you commit a dirty fix, also add the proper one, in case someone decides to regenerate it) and backports generally do not happen either, unless someone is sufficiently annoyed. But I think for projects, most people just track unstable. Personally, I do not even maintain GNOME outside of unstable.

How do you come to that conclusion? I see quite a few backports and fixes on nixos-19.09.

@schmittlauch I use the nixos-20.03 branch for haskell related stuff and do backport fixes, like in [20.03] haskellPackages.binary-strict: 0.4.8.4 -> 0.4.8.5 by erictapen · Pull Request #82780 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub.

I see three fixes in History for pkgs/development/haskell-modules/hackage-packages.nix - NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub, in the directory, I see about ten backports.