Best way to add LUKS and LVM after install is done, with advanced setup?

Why would that try to dump a disk though and not simply error out? I’d consider that a bug.

1 Like

nix has some ‘fun’ string interpolation magic for paths, which I was suspicious of but couldn’t spot where it would be coming in to play. Well done Sandro.

I don’t think this is due to string interpolation, because there was no string interpolation. What seems to be happening IMO is when you set boot.initrd.luks.devices.ssd = "/something/that/looks/like/a/path";, the NixOS module system sees that path as a module, not a configuration definition, because the type of boot.initrd.luks.devices is attrsOf (submodule ...). So it tries to read it as Nix.

I’m really glad someone noticed the problem because I was dumbfounded :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

yah … that sounds a lot like string interpolation, which is what I was looking for and not seeing. It turns out to not technically be because of the feature with that name, but actually something … nastier.

Not to derail this too much, but this thread is an excellent example of situations in which strict typing clearly helps even the most experienced developers.

Except Sandro, apparently :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you all again. Now NixOS is running fine, and I am discovering it.
I have lots of questions, but that’ll go in other discussion threads, and I’ll do some searches on my own first.

1 Like