Better WIFI UX on the non-graphical installer

iwd (iNet wireless daemon) is a wireless daemon for Linux written by Intel. The core goal of the project is to optimize resource utilization by not depending on any external libraries and instead utilizing features provided by the Linux Kernel to the maximum extent possible.

iwd can work in standalone mode or in combination with comprehensive network managers like ConnMan, systemd-networkd and NetworkManager.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/iwd#WPA_Enterprise

iwctl --passphrase passphrase station device connect SSID

:partying_face:

I have been using iwd on nixos for a while now and it is really great. A few things though:

I have noticed some issues when used in conjunction with the default nixos networking infrastructure. On boot I would often need to restart iwd. Eventually I switched over to networkd + resolved and everything is working much more smoothly. I have still had to restart iwd a few times, but it isn’t happening every boot. This all might be due to my wifi card: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411. For whatever reason, systemd networking stack seems to be able to deal with startup better.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I’m aware that iwd a few problems compared to wpa_supplicant (including suspend/resume), but for the installer this should be good enough: as far as It doesn’t use networkd.

2 Likes

I brought this up some time ago, replace wpa_supplicant with iwd in the (minimal) iso image · Issue #105560 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub for some prior discussion
and nixos/installation-device: replace wpa_supplicant by iwd by xaverdh · Pull Request #105561 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub for my draft pr

1 Like