Brainstorming for RFC: pname and version

Good point, but I think it does not affect the decision on frequent corner cases. Indeed once there is no doubt what we want to describe, we should stress that «if some case already fits, you do not need to look further — and hopefully the first case already fits». The corner case list should be a reference but clearly marked unusable as a tutorial.

3 Likes

I think you’re onto something @AndersonTorres . It’s a topic that is ripe for bike-shedding but it would certainly be helpful to get some sort of standard, even if it’s not perfect.

2 Likes

Problems in the paradise: what about RCs? If I’m not wrong, lexicographically 9.3 is before 9.3RC4:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/122592

1 Like

I was going to say that’s not a problem we have, but I suppose nix-env does make version comparisons somewhere.

1 Like

Well, I will catch the corresponding snippet from nix-env manual:

Versions
     The upgrade  operation determines whether a  derivation y is
     an upgrade of a derivation  x by looking at their respective
     name attributes.  The names  (e.g., gcc-3.3.1 are split into
     two  parts:   the  package  name  (gcc),   and  the  version
     (3.3.1). The  version part starts  after the first  dash not
     followed by  a letter. x  is considered  an upgrade of  y if
     their package  names match, and  the version of y  is higher
     that that of x.

The versions are compared  by splitting them into contiguous
     components of numbers and  letters. E.g., 3.3.1pre5 is split
     into  [3, 3,  1,  pre,  5]. These  lists  are then  compared
     lexicographically  (from   left  to   right).  Corresponding
     components a  and b  are compared as  follows.  If  they are
     both numbers, integer  comparison is used. If a  is an empty
     string and b  is a number, a is considered  less than b. The
     special string component pre (for pre-release) is considered
     to  be less  than  other components.  String components  are
     considered less than number  components. Otherwise, they are
     compared   lexicographically  (i.e.,   using  case-sensitive
     string comparison).

This is illustrated by the following examples:

1.0 < 2.3  
2.1 < 2.3 
2.3 =  2.3 
2.5 > 2.3 
3.1 >  2.3 
2.3.1 > 2.3 
2.3.1  > 2.3a 
2.3pre1  < 2.3  
2.3pre3 < 2.3pre12  
2.3a < 2.3c 
2.3pre1 < 2.3c 
2.3pre1 < 2.3q

Perfect! Nothing is needed to do for now.

1 Like

For now I will end this Friday and try to write an RFC draft here.

2 Likes

I wrote the following at some point and figure it may be worth pasting here as well for your consideration:

I would propose following Debians model of extended version numbers and using a format along the lines of 0.5.4+nix.20200108 with 0.0.0+nix.20200108 being used for packages without upstream releases.

Regardless of chosen format, I think it would be very unfortunate if the notion of package name and version differs between Nix and Nixpkgs. It is already difficult enough to understand how things interact in the Nix ecosystem and moving away from

getName = s: (builtins.parseDrvName s).name
getVersion = s: (builtins.parseDrvName s).version

is simply confounding when the documentation for builtins.parseDrvName says

Split the string s into a package name and version.
3 Likes

This is almost the same we are doing with 0.5.4+unstable=2020-01-08, and way more readable. nix is not a good name because nix is the programming environment we use to build it. A more appropriated name would be nixpkgs.

Yes, I will do this! 0.5.4+nixpkgs=2020-01-08 is good!

My intention here is to maintain the builtins.parseDrvName intact.

1 Like
  • Regular release:

• pname is the project name,
    • version is the version as released by the upstream project.
      • version starts with a number; if by any reason the upstream project prepends letters to the version string, we should get rid of this prefix
  • Non regular release (e.g. master branch of a git tree):

• pname is still the project name,
    • version is composed by the latest released version (default 0.0.0 if the project has no release), followed by followed by a string +unstable=YYYY-MM-DD where YYYY-MM-DD denotes the date it was extracted.
  • Kernel modules:

• Their versions receive a +linux=${kernel version} appended to the version as defined above.
3 Likes

Uncertain if answered before or out of scope: patched releases?

I learned from the ensuing discussion. That there are two dimensiona to consider:

• general purpose patches that are meant ro be upstreamed (e.g. reproducability fixes)

• other patches that are meant to be kept private (relatively rare)

1 Like

This is actually not the same thing as the proposal you are agreeing to (as written).

There are two dimensions: unstable=2021-01-01 and nixpkgs=2021-01-02 (in case we apply any meaningful patches/fixes/wrapping)

1 Like

Wrapping like in makeWrapper? It looks like a Nixpkgs-only thing. No need to encode this.

Patches&fixes? How can we encode this?
Sometimes we use general purpose patches (many of them are downloaded from AUR or Gentoo repos). Usually we prefer to send modifications to upstream, but if the modification is to be keep privately, how can we encode this?

@blaggacao any ideas about the patches issue?

1 Like

if we say we are following Debian style, then yes, changes to Nixpkgs-only wrappers and patches should also be reflected in the version.

(if not, I think the previous unstable marker is better, as we are not talking about timestamping Nixpkgs-related things)

1 Like

Might it be so impractical to differentiate between the two types of patches that it would make sense to just append .patched?

The goal would be to let anybody know that the source code is not equivalent to the upstream’s hash, without further semantical meaning, which might be hard to establish.

1 Like

The point is exactly that we most likely do not want to denote this, and just want to separate whether the base upstream version is an upstream release or upstream development snapshot in some sense

1 Like

The extreme case would be something like Linux kernel patches like CK. But they are in a category more akin to “user-enabled patches”, in the sense they are not needed for the functioning of the software per se.

I don’t think that signal the patching it is useful anyway.
We still download the pristine upstream sources, and modify them to suit our needs, in a smaller or a bigger extent according to each project. This is the expected workflow.
And our repo is open to all to see; there is no need to encode something that can be seen by merely reading the source code.

2 Likes

The goal is to communicate a commonly used human understanding. We’re trying to find the sweet spot to communicate enough via a simple version string, but not so much that it captures every possible patch/flag/modification; the prefix hash already does that!

Edit: prefix hash of the derivation.
/nix/store/prefixhash-name-version

2 Likes

Prefix hash? Can you explain?

EDIT: prefix hashes can’t help. This is not a format amenable to nix-env, because the hash is not modified monotonically.

1 Like

@AndersonTorres I feel like input and feedback rounds are exhausted. Cool stuff! Are we ready for a RFC? :wink:

(I hope you where able to keep the overview, and I hope I can recover it from an RFC soon :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: )

1 Like

Yep, I am!

This current week I am full of real life issues to solve, but at the end of week I will be back to this RFC.

3 Likes