Building with all-tarballs

I would like to create an offline repository for NixOS. It would be easier for me if I could move it in source form and offer the ability for me to be able to build on this offline network for multiple architectures. If I understand correctly, the all-tarballs method allows me to collect all of the source packages in tarball form. Is there a way to use these tarballs as the source for a build without a massive effort?

I’m not exactly sure what do you mean by “massive effort” but if you are planning to rebuild nixpkgs offline, you need some serious build infrastructure, especially if you are covering multiple architectures.

If you are not willing to rebuild all of nixpkgs, it is sufficient to mirror a given revision NAR files as a binary cache and serve it, and you can simply rehost all the fixed output derivations through your mirror.

GitHub - nix-how/marsnix: Taking Nix Offline can give some indications on how to achieve part of this.

1 Like

Have a look at https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/5eb1ef29952274fe02e6270cba9a153efd4248cd/maintainers/scripts/copy-tarballs.pl

1 Like

Sorry for everyone who reposted things that were already available in previous topics. I had seen:

Private Mirrors in Airgapped Environments

I just somehow didn’t realize that it was exactly what I was looking for.