Call for nodePackages maintainers

They should probably run it, so they can test their work, but then not commit it.

So I went through the process of merging three PRs and I have a few questions because I donā€™t want to step on anyoneā€™s toes. Right now I just manually cherry-picked the changes from each fork/PR and then rewrote the author to preserve the information who put in the work to add something new. I then want to run the generate.sh for each commit. Itā€™s now running as Iā€™m writing this and I have no idea if this will take hours or days on my measly AMD Ryzen 7 1700.

The pragmatic alternative would be to just take the changes from all PRs, add them as a single commit, run generate.sh once, and maybe refer to all authors in the commit message? But I donā€™t know GitHub well enough to determine if either of these two options will properly preserve the commit in e.g., peopleā€™s dashboards and just in case someone really cares about having their commits to Nixpkgs properly reflected there, I thought Iā€™d ask first.

I would have created a PR so you can see the changes but like I said generate is still running. The gist is (without the generated stuff)

nixpkgs-master (masterā†‘3|āœ”) $ git shortlog --max-count=3
Changlin Li (1):
      nodePackages.inliner: init at 1.13.1

Teodoro Freund (1):
      Added the makam package to the nodePackages

Tobias Mayer (1):
      nodePackages.clubhouse-cli: init at 2.1.0
diff --git a/pkgs/development/node-packages/default.nix b/pkgs/development/node-packages/default.nix
index 4ef3de0bb4e..c86bc964fd6 100644
--- a/pkgs/development/node-packages/default.nix
+++ b/pkgs/development/node-packages/default.nix
@@ -73,6 +73,14 @@ let
       nativeBuildInputs = drv.nativeBuildInputs or [] ++ [ pkgs.psc-package self.pulp ];
     });

+    makam = super.makam.override {
+      buildInputs = [ pkgs.nodejs pkgs.makeWrapper ];
+      postFixup = ''
+        wrapProgram "$out/bin/makam" --prefix PATH : ${stdenv.lib.makeBinPath [ pkgs.nodejs ]}
+        patchelf --set-interpreter ${stdenv.glibc}/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 "$out/lib/node_modules/makam/makam-bin-linux64"
+      '';
+    };
+
     mirakurun = super.mirakurun.override rec {
       nativeBuildInputs = with pkgs; [ makeWrapper ];
       postInstall = let
diff --git a/pkgs/development/node-packages/node-packages.json b/pkgs/development/node-packages/node-packages.json
index 77b398caeec..8cd631cf070 100644
--- a/pkgs/development/node-packages/node-packages.json
+++ b/pkgs/development/node-packages/node-packages.json
@@ -18,6 +18,7 @@
 , "browserify"
 , "castnow"
 , "clean-css-cli"
+, "clubhouse-cli"
 , "coc-css"
 , "coc-emmet"
 , "coc-eslint"
@@ -82,6 +83,7 @@
 , "gitmoji-cli"
 , "graphql-cli"
 , "grunt-cli"
+, "makam"
 , "gtop"
 , "gulp"
 , "gulp-cli"
@@ -90,6 +92,7 @@
 , "htmlhint"
 , "http-server"
 , "hueadm"
+, "inliner"
 , "imapnotify"
 , "indium"
 , "insect"

TL;DR: I really want to help I just want to make sure I do it in the right way before automating anything.

1 Like

Thank you for taking this on! Iā€™m sure we can figure out something if we work on it.

Why after each commit? I think cherry-picking a string of commits with a generate commit at the end would work.

I have no idea if this will take hours or days on my measly AMD Ryzen 7 1700.

I remember it running pretty quickly for me. Hope it doesnā€™t take that long!

The idea was that running generate.sh after each commit would preserve a working git history whereas without it you might look at a commit and determine it includes node package x but because generate.sh was never run it actually doesnā€™t

I created a PR which we can now use to discuss the approach

1 Like

So the PR is now merged I think my next step will be to turn this into a bash script so the process is automated.

4 Likes

@cideM Iā€™d like to get a node package in the regular nodePackages sets and not in a separate default.nix - i.e Iā€™d like to supersede this:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/96961

In favor of you cherry-picking this commit into your next round of nodePackages additions.

Iā€™m working on an update to iosevka, whose package.json is linked in node-packages.json so that its dependencies are available for use at build time.

Do batching updates and not running node-packages/generate.sh apply in this case as well? If so, how does that work with automatic updates by r-ryantm (as updates will fail to build if the dependencies change)?

Sorry Iā€™ve been busy with some other stuff for the past two weeks but Iā€™ll dedicate some time to the automation this weekend and do another merge PR

1 Like