Can't mount Samba share as a user

I’ve just experienced the issue that I can’t mount my file server as a user. Steps I’ve followed to make a mount point:

1. added required packages in configuration.nix:
environment.systemPackages = with pkgs; [ cifs-utils samba ];
  1. confidured Samba to work with my old NAS in configuration.nix:
services.samba = {
    enable = true;
    securityType = "user";
  #  openFirewall = true;
    extraConfig = ''
      workgroup = WORKGROUP
      client min protocol = CORE
    '';
  };
  1. added a remote filesystem to configuration.nix:
fileSystems."/mnt/smb0" = {
      device = "//10.138.72.12/backup";
      fsType = "cifs";
      options = [ "username=bogdan" "users" "noauto" ]; #not sure if I need commas or whitespaces here. Changinf back and forth doesn't help
  };
  1. made network-discovery in Dolphin possible in configuration.nix:
    networking.firewall.extraCommands = ''iptables -t raw -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 137 -j CT --helper netbios-ns'';
  2. created a mount folder:
    sudo mkdir /mnt
    sudo mkdir /mnt/smb0
  3. nixos-rebuild switch
[wynz@nixos-hp:~]$ mount /mnt/smb0
This program is not installed setuid root -  "user" CIFS mounts not supported.

This was a trouble on Fedora too (where I came from). Invoking sudo chmod u+s /bin/mount /bin/umount /usr/sbin/mount.cifs (source) fixed the prob. But here I can’t do this/, 'cause the Nix store is read-only.
I’ve searched the web and found that the developers have already set +s bit to mount and 'umount`, but it was almost 10 years ago (and they didn’t touch mount.cifs):

(EDIT: previously, posted a wrong link)

What can I do now?

Hmm, perhaps we should add the +s bit to the mount.cifs executable? Could you try this:

security.wrappers = {
  "mount.cifs".source = "${lib.getBin pkgs.cifs-utils}/bin/mount.cifs";
};

And try to nixos-rebuild switch and try to mount /mnt/smb0?

1 Like

Theoretically, it should work, but the rebuild tells me that we forgot the “owner” parameter:
error: The option `security.wrappers."mount.cifs".owner' is used but not defined.
As I understand, it should be similar to this example:

Am I missing something?

security.wrappers."mount.cifs" = {
    source = "${lib.getBin pkgs.cifs-utils}/bin/mount.cifs";
    owner = "root";
    group = "root";
  };
[wynz@nixos-hp:~]$ mount /mnt/smb1
This program is not installed setuid root -  "user" CIFS mounts not supported.

I’ve never used security wrappers before. The initial permissions of the executable seem to be correct, but +s bit still isn’t set:

[wynz@nixos-hp:~]$ ls -l /nix/store/z6v13363sv14734xysisq5ar1mw6f122-cifs-utils-7.0/bin/mount.cifs
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 54496 Jan  1  1970 /nix/store/z6v13363sv14734xysisq5ar1mw6f122-cifs-utils-7.0/bin/mount.cifs

The security.wrappers API has changed a bit since 2020. Based on mount.davfs wrapper, try:

security.wrappers."mount.cifs" = {
      program = "mount.cifs";
      source = "${lib.getBin pkgs.cifs-utils}/bin/mount.cifs";
      owner = "root";
      group = "root";
      setuid = true;
    };

Eventually we should add that wrapper somewhere in the samba NixOS module. If something doesn’t work for you, try to run readlink $(which mount.cifs) to see what exactly are you running.

1 Like

Woohoo, it’s working now!! :muscle:Thank you so much. :smiley: This was the biggest inconvinience for me.

1 Like

I’m glad it worked for you, would you like to open a PR for this issue? If you think it is too hard for you, would you be able to review a PR?

1 Like

Should the attr name still be "mount.davfs" in this case? Intuitively "mount.cifs" seems more appropriate, but perhaps that would fail to use the wrapper?

2 Likes

Yes of course, it was a typo:).

2 Likes

Sorry for the time spent to answer. I’ve already made changes to the nixos/modules/security/wrappers/default.nix to include the mount.cifs wrapper (is the location correct? I took it from your PR), and will figure out how to test it later. Will notify you when I’m done :slightly_smiling_face:

My PR? Which one, I literally just a second ago opened this PR

2 Likes

Ah, I see. You found a way to embed it in the samba service itself - it’s perfect!
Will it be OK if I test the changes on the next week? Currently, I don’t have access to my NixOS machine :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Just tried it out myself.
At some point my KIO SMB connection broke (as in KDE), and simply following along with OP fixed it.
Actually it’s better than before, since streaming from my NAS now works with e.g. VLC, something the latter flat-out refused to do earlier :slight_smile:

1 Like