Comin: Git Push NixOS Machines

an orphan branch is just a branch with its own history (starts off with no parents).
you can empty it out and store/track whatever in it.
guix uses it to store gpg pub keys.
to avoid local eval, it can just store a single json file of nixosConfiguration store-paths.
this also keeps track of the history of deployments.

CI:

• builds artifacts and uploads them to a cache
  • pushes a json file { "hostname": "/nix/store/...blah..." } to the orphan branch

Agent:

• polls orphan branch and does something fancier than this gist:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

set -euo pipefail

TEMPDIR=$(mktemp -d)
trap 'rm -rf "$TEMPDIR"' EXIT

# get cached store-path from json file
git clone --depth=1 --branch="$ORPHAN" "$REPO" "$TEMPDIR"
STOREPATH=$(jq -er --arg h "$(hostname)" '.[$h]' "$TEMPDIR"/cache.json)

# TODO: add all the fancy reboot logic
CURRENT=$(readlink /run/current-system)
if [[ "$CURRENT" != "$STOREPATH" ]]; then
  # download cached store-path
  nix-store -r "$STOREPATH"
  # update profile
  nix-env -p /nix/var/nix/profiles/system --set "$STOREPATH"
  # activate
  "$STOREPATH"/bin/switch-to-configurtaion switch
fi

i can imagine something like this could fit in nicely with comin.
if not, hopefully the idea is not too off and helps a little.

1 Like

I responded in the issue you created [Feature Request] Home Manager support Ā· Issue #11 Ā· nlewo/comin Ā· GitHub.

Hi lewo, could you put it more prominently in the readme, that currently only gitlab tokens are supported for authentication. That is kind of a show-stopper for me (and I assume other people), and it would be really nice to see that at a glace. Or rejoice immediately when that changes and Iā€™m re-evaluating.

Btw. any specific reason you donā€™t support ā€œdeploy keysā€ (as ghithub calls them), i.e. repository specific ssh-keys with read-only access? Or are you and Iā€™m just misunderstanding?

I actually never consider to avoid the evaluation on the target machine ā€¦ Iā€™m however not sure this could fit well into the current comin model

I think bento does that, so at least the community has a tool. Iā€™m really a fan of keeping it simple and not overloading with features especially in the early stages. I really like the simplicity of comin.

Quick question, the instructions in the repo specifically mention adding it to configuration.nix - am I correct in my interpretation, that means it doesnā€™t support flakes?

No, it actually only supports flakes! I think the readme should be more explicit about that btw.

1 Like

In the readme, the only mention to the authentication is a link to the documentation and this documentation starts by ā€œCurrently, only the GitLab personnal access token is supportedā€. I would actually prefer to avoid talking about authentication directly in the readme itself to keep it short.

The only reason is that I didnā€™t take time to try with GitHub (all my NixOS configuration are on GitLab instances).
But, it seems the current implementation is almost working for GitHub: we should just add another option allowing the user to provide a user name (which is not required by the GitLab auth).
Note there is an issue on this topic: Support private GitHub repositories Ā· Issue #6 Ā· nlewo/comin Ā· GitHub (i should fix it in the next following weeks).

Correct and Cachix Deploy also avoids the evaluation on the target.

I agree with you. Also, I have a lot of other features to add before considering this use caseā€¦

Thank you for you message and I ping you when the GitHub auth is implemented :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your ideas!
I donā€™t plan to think/work on this topic soon but there is an issue related to this use case.

1 Like

Actually, GitHub personal access token (PAT) works like GitLab PATā€¦ so, the autentication with GitHub was already working!
So, i then added a section in the comin documentation to authenticate on GitHub private repo.

1 Like

comin v0.2.0 has been released.

• Expose some Prometheus metrics
1 Like