Hmmmm, so I tried your nix-shell code above, and added pytorchWithCuda. I got a familiar error that I think you’ve run into before:
shrinking RPATHs of ELF executables and libraries in /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1
shrinking /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/_C.cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
shrinking /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/lib/libshm.so
shrinking /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/lib/libnccl.so
shrinking /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/lib/libcaffe2_gpu.so
shrinking /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/lib/libcaffe2.so
shrinking /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/lib/torch_shm_manager
shrinking /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/lib/libnccl.so.1
shrinking /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/_nvrtc.cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
shrinking /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/_dl.cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
strip is /nix/store/b0yc8vswfzcanhdm6dgmfmdcgjmxvxa0-binutils-2.30/bin/strip
stripping (with command strip and flags -S) in /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1/lib
patching script interpreter paths in /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1
checking for references to /build in /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1...
RPATH of binary /nix/store/5fq22jqnzycs5ikfjvr7hdybw1lxv9jm-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/lib/libcaffe2_gpu.so contains a forbidden reference to /build
find: 'standard output': Broken pipe
find: write error
builder for '/nix/store/f45l98iq9mq8f5bk7wmxdd348ncry4j3-python3.6-pytorch-0.4.1.drv' failed with exit code 1
cannot build derivation '/nix/store/05vps3jd5dp8nv07yidz5lfwyqwf9i5g-python3-3.6.8-env.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
error: build of '/nix/store/05vps3jd5dp8nv07yidz5lfwyqwf9i5g-python3-3.6.8-env.drv' failed
I’d really like to contribute by debugging, but I’m not sure where to start! I see there’s a commit here that checks for links into temporary paths, and I can understand why that’s a bad thing to be avoided. However, I’m not sure what to do about it.