Cutefish DE with NixOS?

Hello,

Has anyone successfully installed a desktop environment with NixOS that isn’t on the list of desktop managers in the manual? Is there a guide or some track I can follow to potentially get it working with Cutefish DE?

Has anyone successfully installed a desktop environment with NixOS that isn’t on the list of desktop managers in the manual?

No. No way. It is a practical impossibility.

I am slowly working on porting TDE onto Nixpkgs. It requires patching, compiling, installing and linking 175 pieces of software - and in NixOS it is a bit worse because we do not use FHS.

It is impossible to coordinate all of it just by adding packages with nix-env. We need NixOS modules for such things.

Is there a guide or some track I can follow to potentially get it working with Cutefish DE?

No. From the point of view of Nixpkgs, cutefish should start as a set of libraries and programs ready to be added via nix build.

I am a newbie on this, but my workflow in TDE has been writing one expression at time, in a bottom-up fashion, from the most basic libraries and foundations to the more complex programs.

I suggest you to look at AUR, Gentoo ebuilds or any other distro that publishes their scripts, and convert them to Nix expressions.

Pacstall looks like a nice start:

Set some palpable milestones, like “cutefish-filemanager”, “cutefish-calculator” etc.

You can ping me at Github, I will look at how I can help.

1 Like

It turns out someone had already started working on this and the desktop environment is available, albeit at an older version

I’ll use that as my starting point, and hopefully it gets added at some point

here’s the relevant issue

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/131282