Does my first-ever configuration.nix look alright?

You can use nix, the package manager, to install system wide packages on all operating systems which support nix and are supported by a given package. Don‘t forget that you also get nix-shell for temporary environments and portable scripts. With home-manager, an independent software package working with nix, you get the additional ability to manage user environments declaratively through nix, with configuration modules, rollbacks and what not. OS compatibility for a given package is obviously a requirement here, too.

However, you cannot use features from NixOS, the Linux distribution relying on nix for self-configuration, anywhere else than NixOS. These include system services and OS-level declarative, modular configuration. For macOS/Darwin there exists nix-darwin, which can control some significant amount of system properties.

I believe that being in the audio group allows you to access and make changes to the audio system when it is not being run by your user account and the video group is similar.

If you want to see exactly what they provide access to, you can look at the udev rules.

I don’t think being in those groups is broadly required because normally you are running audio and video processes under your user account so you have access regardless.