General questions for a popularization article in France

Answer from the editor :

Unfortunately no, it is not possible.
You will have to wait 6 months after publication for the CC version.

You will have to wait 6 months after publication for the CC version.

Will a free creative commons version be published on the website? That would be also fine, so we can link to it later.

Yes after 6 months it will be online with CC BY-NC-ND license. Like this article (a random sample shared by the editor) Analyse d’un problĂšme posĂ© par Intel SGX : la communication sĂ©curisĂ©e entre une enclave et un pĂ©riphĂ©rique | Connect - Editions Diamond

oh yeah, it is on title page, in the corner, the Alternative Distribution!

But Docker and containers still rule the world, given how much of the title page is used to market that.

5 Likes

The paper is online, now for a while I guess.

4 Likes

Since the beginning of september if I am correct : published in the jan-feb issue + 6 months of exclusivity.

Here is it as PDF in english, german and french.

https://slate.host/davidak/nixos-when-functional-programming-meets-linux

Would you like additional languages?

@davidak, as we’ve already discussed it, you may have some troubles with the magazine since the copyright of the article is CC BY-NC-ND, with ND meaning no derivative. I agree that it is sad that the copyright is restrictive about translations, but I explained why I thought that publishing in this magazine was still a good idea to reach the french linux community.

This was your reaction

IMO, your former suggestion would be more appropriate concerning the copyright.

It’s important to me that the NixOS community can read this article. Since most don’t understand french, a translation is needed.

If the publisher still thinks we should not be able to read it, they can contact the hoster to take it down.

I would remove it if they provide a professional translation i can link to instead. That would also solve this problem.

It seems they don’t understand what it means to be part of the FOSS community, even tho they publish articles about it.

I would like this article to be translated and distributed freely but the license and the editor have been clear about that. Given the license I do think it is not legal (at least for me in my country) to distribute a translation thus I want to clearly dissociate myself from this distribution. From a legal standpoint I wonder if publishing an article about FOSS should automatically trigger permissive or copyleft license for the article. I understand your argument but I am not a lawyer and I don’t know more about this.

3 Likes

From a legal standpoint it definitely doesn’t. That said, given the choice I would of course prefer a magazine that allows this over one that doesn’t.

1 Like

Regardless, copyright is copyright and translation is a derivative work. As much as we expect companies to respect our copyrights and uphold open source license terms, we should respect their copyright.

I don’t think it is a good idea to link to material that violates copyright from the NixOS Discourse.

4 Likes

Me too. The trade-off of this choice has been discussed earlier in this thread.

1 Like