Gnome-control-center won't start, gpaste settings schema not installed

At some point recently (though prior to 20.03), I’ve started encountering the following error:

$ gnome-control-center 

(gnome-control-center:2856): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 22:00:28.939: Settings schema 'org.gnome.GPaste' is not installed
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Relevant configuration:

environment.systemPackages = with pkgs; [
    gnome3.gpaste
  ];
  services.xserver.desktopManager.gnome3.enable = true;

There do seem to be schemas at /nix/store/y91dacnqw075zy8jyc3lzssvx4a19fkq-gpaste-3.34.1/share/gsettings-schemas/gpaste-3.34.1/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled. I’ve also found this line in the package, which seems like it should take case of generating them.

Anyone able to suggest how to troubleshoot from here? I’m assuming it’s something specific to my install rather than a problem with the package.

1 Like

Yes, this is a long standing issue caused by a conflict between global nature of GSettings and Nix.

The package exports keybindings through a XML file in $out/share/gnome-control-center/keybindings, which refers to the GPaste GSettings schema but without any way of indicating where the schemas are.

I am pretty sure we have discussed this in the past (I want to add an extra schemadirectory attribute to the XML and patch Control Center to use it) but cannot find the issue at the moment.

As a temporary fix, we should add gpaste back to sessionPath:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/commit/f63d94eba340c05cd241c478deb518204514fce8

Thanks @jtojnar, appreciate the explanation. Good to know it’s nothing particular to my configuration.

Was it the discussion on PR 54083? That sounds like it.

It was probably Upstream sessions by jtojnar · Pull Request #43992 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub. I really should finish that patch.