GO / NO-GO Meeting: NixOS 20.03 Markhor

I’m no good with kernel internals, especially graphics. I re-checked the tickets open upstream, but I saw no clear indication on which versions they were fixed. Comments from a few weeks ago seemed like 5.4 would still be affected by at least some of these. In theory we could piggyback on some distro’s patches.

I thought of similar (I believe ubuntu has patches since they’re going to use the same kernel for their release).

:sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles:

I’ve determined that NixOS 20.03 Markhor is a GO today 2020-04-10.
No further review meetings will be scheduled.
We didn’t have @disassembler in the call, so I will get back to everyone on what sort of timeline we can all expect.

(these notes are thanks to Valodim, thank you so much)

Present in jitsi:

• worldofpeace

• aanderse

• Graham

• Eelco

• ma27

• flokli

• Emantor

• two “fellow jitsters”

Quick transcription:

welcome, [quick intro]
ref to previous notes (in this thread)
everything seems to have been completed
milestone: highlights only thing that’s not done
draft went to flokli, he’s working on it

one bug that caught eye: haskell related
not too familiar, anyone in call?
(seems not)

haskell derivation behavior wrt buildDepends changed, will break
Behaviour of .env in regards to buildDepends changed in 20.03 · Issue #84070 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub

so far undocumented

not sure what to do about this bug

graham: opinion: no attention in 9 days, hence not a blocker
maybe contact john ericsson

wop: he self-assigned, documentation seems to be happening?

wop:
no blockers left

20.03 is a go!
highlights and failing packages left to do

samuel (@disassembler) here? see if he agrees

objections from anyone else? (seems not)

looks ok to you eelco?

eelco: sounds great

flokli is going to open pr with highlights translation to docbook
please submit what you need in there, should be done shortly

fabulous :sparkles:

Reviewed

PR has been opened right after as promised

Thank you @flokli.

Followup on the Intel GPU Issue linux 5.4
I talked with Emantor and @samueldr in #nixos-dev about this issue at:
#nixos-dev on 2020-04-10 — irc logs;

We have reason to believe it is actually fixed, and we’ll followup to see if the errata in the release notes can be removed (to use 4.19 to avoid the issue).

20 Likes

I wrote several issues with ACME certificates (which changed in 20.03 from simp_le to lego), some of which were blocking the release, and I just uncovered a new one which might be blocking too, so I signal it here just in case:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/84633#issuecomment-612501828

1 Like

I took another look #84070 was as-intended, but I’ll go add some docs as to the change.

edit nixos/doc: Document breaking change to Haskell dev shells by Ericson2314 · Pull Request #85085 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub

2 Likes

Any comments on what is written here:

?

And here:

Intel Graphics Woes[edit | edit source]

Linux 5.5 has some initial support for gen12 graphics cards. It does not fix any of the major issues with Intel graphics that have plagued the last few kernel releases. Users of low-powered machines with chips like the Goldmount N4200, Kaby Lake R chips and some other chips need to use i915.enable_dc=0 with this kernel to avoid random freezes. A freeze can reliably be triggered by turning the screen off with xset dpms force off and waiting around 10 seconds on the affected systems. Users of Baytrail chips need to use intel_idle.max_cstate=1 to avoid freezes within 30 minutes of booting. That Baytrail bug has been open for half a decade and it will probably never be fixed.

1 Like

On ThinkPad P52, 5.4.30 does hang once in 1-2 days when Intel GPU is used and works stable with Nvidia (there is a checkbox in BIOS which GPU to use)

I believe outdated? Emantor should be available in #nixos-dev on Freenode.

Hi,

I see that the release 20.03 was a go more than week ago but I don’t see it released yet.
What are the next steps? I don’t understand what is missing.

@richard Last GO / NO-GO meeting it was said that the release will be postponed for a week due to release managers having a busy week ahead. If I understood correctly release is coming out soon, just last bits need to be done, but there are no blockers.

2 Likes