Home-manager flake not building

Hey all,

I had a version conflict, like some others, and I rolledback to a previous generation of home-manager, but now I get an error when I try to build it with the typical command home-manager build --flake .#username@hostname
The logs say:
nixos-render-docs: error: unrecognized arguments: --header --footer /nix/store/h9zwajyk6xa3bk4gw3sp433kndl4hbf5-options.json/share/doc/nixos/options.json

And the error is:
error: builder for '/nix/store/ixs1vamd8d2h36dlsdhk8kya53khcahh-home-configuration-reference-manpage.drv' failed with exit code 2; last 6 log lines: > usage: nixos-render-docs > [-h] > [-j JOBS] > {options,manual} > ... > nixos-render-docs: error: unrecognized arguments: --header --footer /nix/store/h9zwajyk6xa3bk4gw3sp433kndl4hbf5-options.json/share/doc/nixos/options.json /nix/store/i70jf5mr23js9rlwl17cl1kpdwz22zzd-home-configuration-reference-manpage/share/man/man5/home-configuration.nix.5 For full logs, run 'nix log /nix/store/ixs1vamd8d2h36dlsdhk8kya53khcahh-home-configuration-reference-manpage.drv'. error: 1 dependencies of derivation '/nix/store/s84y4vfm57wq2vx3b54b5p2ax8izbh75-home-manager-path.drv' failed to build error: 1 dependencies of derivation '/nix/store/6lpy628wjczck7kz4qlkd7fwdzvc4bs1-home-manager-generation.drv' failed to build

1 Like

related to this one? Is Home Manager with flakes currently broken?

1 Like

I’m watching that one. I wonder if it’s not related. Thanks.

I tried nix run home-manager -- build --flake .#user@hostname and still get the above error. Plus the version mis-match warning. So I rolled back home-manager to 23.05 and tried again. No warning, but still the same nixos-render-docs error.

Is this error occurring for you on macOS?

I encountered this same error on macOS until I added nix-darwin as a flake input (see this commit) rather than using nix-darwin as a channel.

Hello! No, this error was on my old trusty thinkpad. I eventually fixed it by changing my flake input, and setting home-manager as a module in my flake, rather than a separately managed package.

1 Like