How to configure PostgreSQL declaratively (NixOS and non-NixOS)?

Hi,

With my limited knowledge, I’m trying to figure out how to configure a PostgreSQL database in my dev environment, created via a shell.nix file. Currently, in shellHook, I edit postgresql.conf with sed right after calling initdb, but there has to be a better solution, especially if many options need to configured.

Tried passing the configuration options directly to pg_ctl but they don’t seem to take effect:

pg_ctl                              \                                                                                                                                                                                        
  -D $PGDATA                        \                                                                                                                                                                                 
  -l $PGDATA/postgres.log           \                                                                                                                                                                                              
  -o "-c log_destination='stderr'"  \                                                                                                                                                                                              
  -o "-c logging_collector=on"      \                                                                                                                                                                                              
  -o "-c log_directory=\'log\'"     \                                                                                                                                                                                             
  -o "-c log_filename=\'postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.log\'" \                                                                                                                                                                 
  -o "-c log_min_messages=info"                           \                                                                                                                                                                                       
  -o "-c log_min_error_statement=info"                    \                                                                                                                                                                                     
  -o "-c log_connections=on"                              \                                                                                                                                                                                               
  start 

I know that on NixOS there is the services.postgresql.* family of options, with lots of examples (1, 2), but

1. these are global options, so how would one use it with nix-shell on NixOS?
  2. these are NixOS-specific options, so what could one do on a non-NixOS system?

I’m trying to make this work on Ubuntu instance in Google Cloud Engine (GCE) but once I figured out NixOps, I hope to move to NixOS entirely.

I’m fairly sure that I also have profound misunderstandings regarding Nix and NixOS, therefore please don’t hesitate to correct me.

Thank you!
Attila

3 Likes

Hey Attila,

this seems to work perfectly.
But this options won’t alter your postgresql.conf.
You need to verify the settings within the Database: e.g. SHOW logging_collector;

1 Like

You are right, thank you!

I wasn’t expecting postgresql.conf to change, and checking options with postgres -C always returned off, but that was because I didn’t read the postgres man page careful enough (emphases mine):

-C name

Prints the value of the named run-time parameter, and exits. (See the -c option above for details.) This can be used on a running server, and returns values from postgresql.conf , modified by any parameters supplied in this invocation. It does not reflect parameters supplied when the cluster was started.

Testing with SHOW did work of course:

$ psql -h $PGDATA -U toraritte -d postgres -c 'SHOW log_connections'                                                                                                                                log_connections
-----------------
on
(1 row)

Plus, I also checked whether the default log/ directory exists with a logfile, after invoking nix-shell, but I messed that up too. I was playing around with quotes so many times (thinking that they were the problem) that I left single quotes quoted (see first post), and ended up with log directory name "'log'"/ and "'postgresql-2019-09-17_135959.log'"… The correct invocation is

pg_ctl                              \                                                                                                                                                                                        
  -D $PGDATA                        \                                                                                                                                                                                 
  -l $PGDATA/postgres.log           \                                                                                                                                                                                              
  -o "-c log_destination='stderr'"  \                                                                                                                                                                                              
  -o "-c logging_collector=on"      \                                                                                                                                                                                              
  -o "-c log_directory='log'"     \                                                                                                                                                                                             
  -o "-c log_filename='postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.log'" \                                                                                                                                                                 
  -o "-c log_min_messages=info"                           \                                                                                                                                                                                       
  -o "-c log_min_error_statement=info"                    \                                                                                                                                                                                     
  -o "-c log_connections=on"                              \                                                                                                                                                                                               
  start
2 Likes

Hey, I do run Postgres using Nix on Ubuntu. My approach is container-based deployment and extra-container tool.

So, extra-container is:

self: super: {

extra-container = super.stdenv.mkDerivation {
        name = "extra-container-amplicare";
        src = super.fetchurl {
            url = "https://github.com/erikarvstedt/extra-container/archive/0.2.tar.gz";
            sha256 = "1gz7rl2hx8kbmy5wdyai75mbscr0v61da4h7paz3j3yzfk6p7wf9";
        };
        propagatedBuildDeps = [ self.nixos-container ];
        buildCommand = ''
            unpackPhase && cd "$sourceRoot"
            # extra-container was designed for NixOS. We have to adapt it for Ubuntu
            sed -i 's|/etc/systemd-mutable|$((uname -a \|grep -q NixOS) \&\& echo /etc/systemd-mutable\|\| echo /usr/lib/systemd)|g' extra-container
            mkdir -p $out/bin
            cp extra-container $out/bin/extra-container
            patchShebangs $out/bin
        '';
    };
}

The container config is:

let

mounts = {
    pg-monster = {
      mountPoint = "/db";
      hostPath = "/db/postgresql/pg-monster";
      isReadOnly = false;
    };
    host-socket = {
      mountPoint = "/var/run/postgresql";
      hostPath = "/var/run/postgresql";
      isReadOnly = false;
    };
    ssl-certificate = {
      mountPoint = "/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem";
      hostPath = "/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem";
    };
    ssl-key = {
      mountPoint = "/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key";
      hostPath = "/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key";
    };
    pg_stat_tmp = "/run/pg_stat_tmp";
  };

in {

imports = [ ./nix-config/host-base.nix ];

containers.pg-monster = {
    autoStart = true;
    tmpfs = [
      mounts.pg_stat_tmp
    ];
    bindMounts = {
      inherit (mounts)
        pg-monster
        host-socket
        ssl-certificate
        ssl-key
      ;
    };

config = { pkgs, config, lib, ... }: {

imports = [
        ./nix-config/container-base.nix
      ];

services.postgresql = {
        enable = true;
        package = pkgs.postgresql_11;
        extraPlugins = with config.services.postgresql.package.pkgs; [
          pg_repack
        ];
        dataDir = mounts.pg-monster.mountPoint;
        port = 5432;
        enableTCPIP = true;
        extraConfig = ''
          # CONFIG REFERENCE (with defaults)
          # https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/40ad4202513c72f5c1beeb03e26dfbc8890770c0/src/backend/utils/misc/postgresql.conf.sample

listen_addresses = '*'
          unix_socket_directories = '/tmp,${mounts.host-socket.mountPoint}'
          max_connections = 100
          shared_buffers = 10GB
          huge_pages = try
          temp_buffers = 64MB
          work_mem = 64MB
          maintenance_work_mem = 4GB
          autovacuum_work_mem = 128MB
          max_worker_processes = 24
          max_parallel_maintenance_workers = 8
          max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 8
          max_parallel_workers = 8

synchronous_commit = off
          effective_cache_size = 300GB
          default_statistics_target = 1000
          jit = off # slows done things actually

logging_collector = on
          log_line_prefix = '%t [%p]: [%l-1] user=%u,db=%d,app=%a,client=%h '
          log_min_duration_statement = 1
          log_filename = 'postgresql-%Y-%m-%d.log'
          log_checkpoints = on
          log_connections = on
          log_disconnections = on
          log_lock_waits = on
          log_temp_files = 0
          log_autovacuum_min_duration = 0
          log_error_verbosity = default
          #log_min_messages = debug5

stats_temp_directory = '${mounts.pg_stat_tmp}'

ssl = true
          ssl_cert_file = '${mounts.ssl-certificate.mountPoint}'
          ssl_key_file = '${mounts.ssl-key.mountPoint}'

# those options should minimize WAL generation when inserting data
          # (WAL slows down everything, because it touches disk. But we still
          # cannot go with UNLOGGED tables, because those don't survive reboot)
          wal_level = minimal
          archive_mode = off
          max_wal_senders = 0
          wal_compression = on
          max_wal_size = 4GB
        '';

authentication = ''
          # We trust ubuntu user, because he has sudo without password
          # He can connect/dump bypassing this authentication file
          local all postgres peer
          local all root peer
        '';
      };

systemd.services.postgresql.preStart = ''
        chown postgres:postgres -R ${mounts.pg_stat_tmp}
      '';
      systemd.services.postgresql.postStart =
        let cfg = config.services.postgresql;
      in lib.mkAfter ''
          set -x
          export PGPORT=${toString cfg.port}
          export PGDATABASE=template1
          SUDO="${pkgs.sudo}/bin/sudo -u ${cfg.superUser} -E"

function createUser {
             local user="$1"
             shift
             $SUDO psql -tAc "SELECT 1 FROM pg_roles WHERE rolname='$user'" | grep -q 1 || $SUDO createuser $user $@
          }
          createUser root -s || true
          chmod 750 -R ${cfg.dataDir}
      '';
    };
  };
}

and container base is:

{ lib, ... }: {
    imports = [
      <nixpkgs/nixos/modules/profiles/headless.nix>
    ];

networking.firewall.enable = false;
    documentation.nixos.enable = false;

# map Ubuntu's `postgres` user to NixOS
    # We want `postgres` user in container correspond to `postgres` user in host
    # So it's possible to do peer authentication.
    users.users.postgres.uid = lib.mkForce 114;
    users.groups.postgres.gid = lib.mkForce 120;

# map Ubuntu's ssl-cert group to NixOS to allow read SSL private key
    users.users.postgres.extraGroups = [ "ssl-cert" ];
    users.groups.ssl-cert.gid = 119;
}

Host-base is:

{ lib, ... }: {
    fileSystems."/".device = lib.mkForce "nodev";
    boot.loader.grub.devices = lib.mkForce [ "nodev" ];
}
2 Likes

Thank you @danbst, this looks awesome! Barely understand it, and haven’t used containers in NixOS (or at all) but this definitely seems a cleaner solution.

On the other hand, why would you recommend using containers instead of nix-shell? Is it because nix-shell kind of like chroot?

Forgive my ignorance, still fairly new to this, and right now I only use NixOS and Nix for development as setting up a dev environment is snap, but I assume the proper way to move forward in production is using containers.

Noting couple resources to myself:
+ chroot vs Docker
+ containers vs virtual machines
+ Extra-container - Run declarative containers without full system rebuilds - NixOS Discourse thread
+ NixOS container limitations - NixOS Discourse thread
+ NixOS manual - Chapter 39. Container Management
+ Is this a viable alternative to Docker? I’m about to launch a fairly large new p... | Hacker News
+ r/haskell - What are your deployment workflows/tools
+ NixOPS Container

1 Like

there are two reasons why.

1. Kinda isolation. Which is great for reproducibility
  2. It allows NixOS-style declarative config

Note, that there is another project to extend nix-shell into NixOS config: nixos-shell by Chris. It was nice, but it requires now some love to work on Ubuntu.

It would be really nice to combine extra-container and nixos-shell tools together (ideally embed into stock nixos-container).

Is it because nix-shell kind of like chroot ?

nix-shell is nowhere like chroot. nix-shell --pure is closer.

but I assume the proper way to move forward in production is using containers.

You can run without both containers and systemd if you want, There exists a thing called “runner”:

$ cat runner.nix
with import <nixpkgs/nixos> { configuration = {
  imports = [ ./configuration-test.nix ];
  boot.isContainer = true;
}; };
config.systemd.services.postgresql.runner

$ cat configuration-test.nix
{ config, pkgs, ... }: {
   services.postgresql.enable = true;
   services.postgresql.dataDir = "/tmp/datadir";
   services.postgresql.port = 5431;
   system.stateVersion = "18.09";
}

$ sudo -u postgres $(nix-build runner.nix --no-out-link)
these derivations will be built:
  /nix/store/jpgy6m37c9lpzj8pq234410sl8nl3q8n-unit-script-postgresql-post-start.drv
  /nix/store/y2md2wq9gw49v74cxh1510lyins4wlxc-postgresql.conf.drv
  /nix/store/k3qja76c9jq5wjf2j7vdbiv3qa97ipfk-unit-script-postgresql-start.drv
  /nix/store/gvshan2phnxh6p74iigvy50crvdx6dpk-postgresql-runner.drv
building '/nix/store/jpgy6m37c9lpzj8pq234410sl8nl3q8n-unit-script-postgresql-post-start.drv'...
building '/nix/store/y2md2wq9gw49v74cxh1510lyins4wlxc-postgresql.conf.drv'...
building '/nix/store/k3qja76c9jq5wjf2j7vdbiv3qa97ipfk-unit-script-postgresql-start.drv'...
building '/nix/store/gvshan2phnxh6p74iigvy50crvdx6dpk-postgresql-runner.drv'...
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = "en_US.UTF-8",
        LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
        LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
running ExecStartPre: /nix/store/8jr8k2nnhal3rsi75pws0nyjlvafzijb-unit-script-postgresql-pre-start
running ExecStart: /nix/store/n44a8135hq4kp6fvp5dxl67i8y29z6zr-unit-script-postgresql-start
running ExecStartPost: /nix/store/blpjf150p5j98fvm989gk0kp8qk11c2b-unit-script-postgresql-post-start
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2019-09-18 19:08:03 GMT
LOG:  MultiXact member wraparound protections are now enabled
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started

I don’t use it myself.

PS. In general, NixOS (not Nix, NixOS!) experience on Ubuntu is bad. I’ve recorded my current setup in NixOS-like experience on Ubuntu in AWS. So if you find containers difficult to use on Ubuntu, then don’t bother with that and use what is easiest for you.

1 Like

You just gave me a couple weeks worth of reading, and now I understand the reason behind choosing NixOS containers at least.

On local machines I always use NixOS, but have a couple projects running on Google Cloud Engine, and choose Ubuntu only to get started (quick and dirty) until I figure out NixOps to spin up NixOS instances.

Thank you also for the detailed examples!

1 Like

You may try GitHub - elitak/nixos-infect: [GPLv3+] install nixos over the existing OS in a DigitalOcean droplet (and others with minor modifications). I don’t have GCE machines, but for Hetzner and some AWS (which are not listed as supported) it works.

• you launch Ubuntu node
  • then build NixOS files on that node (nixos-infect covers this)
  • then replace bootloader and reboot (nixos-infect covers this)
  • new bootloader does “swap” and launches NixOS (NIXOS_LUSTRATE covers this)

Probably the only important thing is to not forget to imports = [ <nixpkgs/nixos/modules/virtualisation/google-compute-config.nix> ]; in desired NixOS configuration.

1 Like

When I start the server thus, it dies after a while. Has anybody faced a similar problem (and resolved it?)

Here’s my startup-

#!/bin/sh
# To use your own directory:
# Source, among others: https://github.com/toraritte/shell.nixes/blob/ae2222ad3b69bc446649d1a2b81b50e72cb77561/elixir-phoenix-postgre
s/shell.nix

PGDATA=$1

# If PGDATA is not empty
[ "$(ls -A $PGDATA)" ] || pg_ctl initdb -D  $PGDATA
echo "Postgres data directory is $PGDATA"

# Change port after initdb
PORT=$2
echo "Trying to start on port: $PORT"
sed -i "s|^#port.*$|port = $PORT|" $PGDATA/postgresql.conf

pg_ctl                                                  \
    -D $PGDATA                                            \
    -l $PGDATA/postgres.log                               \
    -o "-c unix_socket_directories='$PGDATA'"             \
    -o "-c listen_addresses='*'"                          \
    -o "-c log_destination='stderr'"                      \
    -o "-c logging_collector=on"                          \
    -o "-c log_directory='log'"                           \
    -o "-c log_filename='postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.log'" \
    -o "-c log_min_messages=info"                         \
    -o "-c log_min_error_statement=info"                  \
    -o "-c log_connections=on"                            \
    start

echo "Connect using psql -h $PGDATA -p $PORT"
echo "Might need a createdb first, use the same params"
echo "To stop, use pg_ctl -D $PGDATA stop"
1 Like

Try set

log_min_error_statement = DEBUG5

(you have info level) and inspect error log.

2 Likes

I always seem to get only the following lines in the error log:

2020-03-31 09:06:07.980 UTC [15760] LOG:  database system was shut down at 2020-03-31 09:05:11 UTC
2020-03-31 09:06:07.994 UTC [15758] LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
2020-03-31 09:09:06.071 UTC [15758] LOG:  received fast shutdown request
2020-03-31 09:09:06.135 UTC [15758] LOG:  aborting any active transactions
2020-03-31 09:09:06.137 UTC [15758] LOG:  background worker "logical replication launcher" (PID 15766) exited with exit code 1
2020-03-31 09:09:06.137 UTC [15761] LOG:  shutting down
2020-03-31 09:09:06.536 UTC [15758] LOG:  database system is shut down

Also, as per danbst’s suggestion:

POSTGRESUJAH=# show log_min_error_statement ;
 log_min_error_statement
-------------------------
 debug5
(1 row)

This happens with absolutely 0 user intervention. So for example, I notice a shutdown, then I start the server again and come here to make the post so no shell sessions closed et al, and then that server is dead again.

1 Like

Were you able to find the solution for this? I wasn’t able to re-create this (that would only happen if I tried it in production, for sure…). Started googling (see below), but none of these offer a solution (and you probably already found them already):

1 Like

Thank you for trying to help. I’ve tried quite a bit but I think nothing was directly applicable and nothing worked for sure. I’m beginning to slowly wonder this may have to do something with the locale. I will update here. One other direction I’m loooking is that when I made this post- I deleted all the log files and the server ran for multiple hours flawlessly before me manually shutting it , as opposed to usually a few minutes to maybe an hour. I havd to investigate that too.

1 Like

The last time I had locale issues, the only thing that worked was a dirty workaround (and, in the end, to switch to another distro from Ubuntu).

This is my question, tried to document everything that I tried, hope it helps:

1 Like

it is very strange. With DEBUG5 pg should shit tons of logs, on every query. Are you sure you have logging properly configured?

Line “received fast shutdown request” suggests PG is stopped explicitly, it is not crashed. Check full system log around that time, maybe any clues which other services can do that.

I’ve seen similar situation when you have, for example, postScript configured and there is an error in postScript. Then PG is started, postScript fails, systemd recides whole service had failed so it stops PG. You may have some different issue…

I did do a journalctl earlier and there was nothing in there at all that could be called suspicious. The only logs were from my onedrive service. (I did not check dmesg, I should probably do that, I don’t know much about Linux administration). And there was even a failure just in the time I made an earlier post with no other action than typing in firefox.

About postgres logs themselves, here’s the content that appears in postgres.log:

2020-04-02 10:18:58.218 UTC [11024] LOG:  listening on IPv4 address "0.0.0.0", port 7397
2020-04-02 10:18:58.233 UTC [11024] LOG:  listening on IPv6 address "::", port 7397
2020-04-02 10:18:58.263 UTC [11024] LOG:  listening on Unix socket "/code/zx/workspace/projects/jkjkjkjk/postgres/.s.PGSQL.7397"
2020-04-02 10:18:58.380 UTC [11024] LOG:  redirecting log output to logging collector process
2020-04-02 10:18:58.380 UTC [11024] HINT:  Future log output will appear in directory "log".

Here is the content of one such file:

2020-03-29 16:20:37.625 UTC [20000] LOG:  database system was shut down at 2020-03-28 16:35:33 UTC
2020-03-29 16:20:37.732 UTC [19998] LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
2020-03-29 16:23:03.023 UTC [19998] LOG:  received fast shutdown request
2020-03-29 16:23:03.101 UTC [19998] LOG:  aborting any active transactions
2020-03-29 16:23:03.102 UTC [19998] LOG:  background worker "logical replication launcher" (PID 20006) exited with exit code 1
2020-03-29 16:23:03.102 UTC [20001] LOG:  shutting down
2020-03-29 16:23:03.214 UTC [19998] LOG:  database system is shut down

For me, the shutdown times are random, usually about an hour, sometimes a few minutes and then one time for maybe 5-6 hours.

About logging being configured correctly- this is what i get in postgres:

UJAH=# show log_min_error_statement ;
 log_min_error_statement
-------------------------
 debug5
(1 row)

Time: 143.378 ms

I believe SHOW shows configuration correctly…

Ouch, looks like I was wrong, it should be called log_min_messages. With this setup I have the debug logs in log file:

services.postgresql.extraConfig = ''
    log_min_error_statement = 'DEBUG5'
    log_min_messages = 'DEBUG5'
    logging_collector = on
    log_statement = 'all'
  '';

Thank you for working with me, I tried this and see a lot of statements. I’m waiting for the server to crash (since the last 30 minutes, and cynically wondering if it ever will!)

EDIT: There has been about 6 more hours of uptime (in the 24h that have passed) and the server still hasn’t crashed.

EDIT2: Almost 7 hours of uptime (in the 1.5d that have passed) and no crash!

EDIT3: Almost 15 hours of uptime (in the 2.5d that have passed) and no crash…

EDIT4: Almost 24 hours of uptime (in the 3d that have passed) and no crash…

For the record here’s the only changes i’ve made-

-       -o "-c log_min_messages=info"         
+      -o "-c log_min_messages=dEBUG5"     
+           -o "-c log_statement=all"             

1 Like