How to find needed librarys for closed source bin applications

tried to push…

[wolf@daw:~/DEV/nixpkgs]$ git push myfork HEAD
To GitHub - RudiOnTheAir/nixpkgs: Nix Packages collection & NixOS
! [rejected] HEAD → add_stereotool (fetch first)
Fehler: Fehler beim Versenden einiger Referenzen nach ‘GitHub - RudiOnTheAir/nixpkgs: Nix Packages collection & NixOS
Hinweis: Aktualisierungen wurden zurückgewiesen, weil das Remote-Repository Commits enthält,
Hinweis: die lokal nicht vorhanden sind. Das wird üblicherweise durch einen “push” von
Hinweis: Commits auf dieselbe Referenz von einem anderen Repository aus verursacht.
Hinweis: Wenn Sie die externen Änderungen integrieren wollen, verwenden Sie ‘git pull’
Hinweis: bevor Sie erneut push ausführen.
Hinweis: Siehe auch den Abschnitt ‘Note about fast-forwards’ in ‘git push --help’ für
Hinweis: weitere Informationen.
[wolf@daw:~/DEV/nixpkgs]$

You can see the list of all commits in the branch. The top ones are the last ones, i.e. yours. You can read on the line commit the ID of the commit. For instance here you have two commits:

• 9b03daddea1c4e3c7cded28f29ceb433caaf489c with message stereotool: init at 10.21
  • ad7ffca7563c23324b7b2652ed7a7340d9f4c368 with message maintainers: add RudiOnTheAir

(the commit below is b093dd8294d77aeb761a6f3c616e9e3dd9578c20 but as noted it is the latest online one from origin/master so no need to look at them)

To see the content of a commit, type (replace the ID of the commit with yours, you can also type only the first few letters like 9b03da instead of 9b03daddea1c4e3c7cded28f29ceb433caaf489c):

$ git show 9b03daddea1c4e3c7cded28f29ceb433caaf489c

and it will show you in green with a + the line that you are adding via this commit, and in red with - the lines that you are removing.

You need git push --force since you are not adding stuff on top of the online branch.

Without myfork HEAD?

I mean

$ git push --force myfork HEAD

OK, executed

[wolf@daw:~/DEV/nixpkgs]$ git push --force myfork HEAD
Objekte aufzählen: 17, fertig.
Zähle Objekte: 100% (17/17), fertig.
Delta-Kompression verwendet bis zu 8 Threads.
Komprimiere Objekte: 100% (10/10), fertig.
Schreibe Objekte: 100% (11/11), 2.49 KiB | 2.49 MiB/s, fertig.
Gesamt 11 (Delta 7), Wiederverwendet 0 (Delta 0), Pack wiederverwendet 0
remote: Resolving deltas: 100% (7/7), completed with 6 local objects.
To GitHub - RudiOnTheAir/nixpkgs: Nix Packages collection & NixOS

• c73abe34852e…9b03daddea1c HEAD → add_stereotool (forced update)
    [wolf@daw:~/DEV/nixpkgs]

Much better, good job.

Is this going to happen now?
If so, thank you very much for your commitment and, above all, your patience.

Things will get interesting again when an update comes out. I think then the version number would be increased and the hashes renewed.

Well, I’m not the only reviever… but I’m surprised, someone pointed that the url you added gives a 404 error for the icon
https://download.thimeo.com/stereo_tool_logo_1021.png

Yes, seen. Don’t ask why there is logo instead of icon… C&P error… Changed that localy already…

(fetchurl {
name = “stereo-tool-icon.png”;
url = “https://download.thimeo.com/stereo_tool_icon_${versionNoPoint}.png”;
hash = “sha256-dcivH6Cc7pdQ99m80vS4E5mp/SHtTlNu1EHc+0ALIGM=”;
})

But. What does that mean?

mainProgram should be set

Something like:

mainProgram = “stereotool-alsa”;

But i have two different versions. -alsa and -jack

when that is fixed, i would do a: To not open the next problem…

git commit -a --amend --no-edit
git push --force myfork HEAD

1 Like

Screenshot running Rivendell and Stereotool

As I just mentionned in github, put the alsa one, but do put the name of the executable, it tells nix what to run when running nix run.

OK, done. Now start the next try…

I guess I’ll just wait until everyone has checked…?

Seems no more error in it… until now

I’m not sure if I’ll have access to a computer to check this week, in the worst case I’ll do it next week

Thats really no problem. My intention was to understand what has to happen now. You are the one that gives it a ready to publish signal? Or all three left reviewers?

This is a great read if it got cleaned up you could sort of make a tutorial post from it.
Thanks to you two for being so patient with learning and teaching.

2 Likes

I don’t have write access myself, so I cannot merge it myself, but someone just did. Congrats, you are now an official NixOs maintainer :wink:

I made this tutorial here packaging - How to package my software in nix or write my own package derivation for nixpkgs - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange with a section “How can I submit my derivation to nixpkgs?”. I should however add a line on adding yourself as a maintainer, and about the new by-name mechanism.

Yes, that would be maybe better to add some things to your tutorial. I have copied some parts of the thread into a office document, to have the links clickable.

Btw. Have the test install removed by entering:

nix profile list
nix profile remove 0

and for test the install part to check my documentation

~/nixpkgs]$ export NIXPKGS_ALLOW_UNFREE=1
~/nixpkgs]$ nix profile install “.#stereotool” --impure

But i get only

error: ‘“.#stereotool”’ is not a valid URL

Is that bec. " Pull request successfully merged and closed" ?

The error is because the quotes have been turned from " to (I guess office changed them). You can also just remove them most of the time.

I especially enjoyed your back and forth since it reminded me of one of Xe’s posts: https://xeiaso.net/