How to generate a NixOS tarball (LXC template) with all dependencies, not just runtime?

Hello

I’m trying to implement a workflow for provisioning Nixos LXC containers in Proxmox. I have the following vision

1. Build LXC tarball. This tarball includes my user account, public key and some other basic stuff
  2. Upload it to proxmox
  3. Create instances with terraform
  4. Deploy services that I need in those containers with nixinate. SSH keys are baked in the image, so connection is possible

So I basically treat LXC like I would treat VMs that are configured separately as needed, instead of baking their configuration at build time

I implemented this workflow and it’s quite nice. My problem is, when running nixinate, I see that nix tries to redownload the entire system. This includes, among other things, various low-level libraries, openssl, nano and even systemd. Not only it consumes bandwidth and fills container memory, it also requires me to reboot the container, because systemd gets locked and nixos-rebuild is unable to finish the process. It works normally after reboot, but automating it is not the solution I’d like to have.

This is my flake:

{
  inputs = {
    nixpkgs.url = "github:NixOS/nixpkgs/nixos-22.11";

terranix.url = "github:terranix/terranix";
    terranix.inputs.nixpkgs.follows = "nixpkgs";

nixinate.url = "github:matthewcroughan/nixinate";
    nixinate.inputs.nixpkgs.follows = "nixpkgs";
  };

outputs = { self, nixpkgs, terranix, nixinate, ... }@inputs:
    let
      system = "x86_64-linux";
      pkgs = import nixpkgs { inherit system; };
    in
    {
      packages.${system} = {
        tf-config = terranix.lib.terranixConfiguration {
          inherit system;
          modules = [ ./terraform/terraform.nix ];
        };
      };

nixosConfigurations = {
        proxmox-lxc = nixpkgs.lib.nixosSystem {
          inherit system;
          modules = [ ./modules/base-lxc.nix ];
        };
        dns = nixpkgs.lib.nixosSystem {
          system = "x86_64-linux";
          modules = [
            ./modules/base-lxc.nix
            {
              environment.systemPackages = [
                pkgs.hello
              ];
            }
            {
              _module.args.nixinate = {
                host = "10.0.10.0";
                sshUser = "<<redacted>>";
                buildOn = "remote"; # valid args are "local" or "remote"
                substituteOnTarget = true; # if buildOn is "local" then it will substitute on the target, "-s"
                hermetic = true;
              };
            }
          ];
        };
      };

devShell.${system} = pkgs.callPackage ./shell.nix ({inherit pkgs; inherit inputs;});

apps = nixinate.nixinate.x86_64-linux self;
    };
}

Here, proxmox-lxc is the base image, and dns is the machine configuration. ./modules/base-lxc.nix includes users, ssh keys, ssh config and some proxmox specific settings.

When building the image from proxmox-lxc, it created a ~100MB tarball. I uploaded it to proxmox and create a container, which takes 500MB of space. Then I ran nixinate. First, it downloaded 20M (88M unpacked) of basic low level stuff, which included some aws C libraries and bash for some reason. Then it downloaded 21M of source, which I believe is nixpkgs, fine. Then it proceeded to download another 200M (~500M unpacked) of various stuff, including systemd (which already was present in the store btw). And finally, it failed with /nix/store/yl8cr5df7mi7ws3d5cq9n5f4lwhrxd5r-system-path/bin/busctl --json=short call org.freedesktop.systemd1 /org/freedesktop/systemd1 org.freedesktop.systemd1.Manager ListUnitsByPatterns asas 0 0' exited with value 1 at /nix/store/p8as6v2cd6msvgz5bjgyn8x1gs2sz1yq-nixos-system-unnamed-22.11.20230207.af96094/bin/switch-to-configuration

After rebooting container and rerunning nixinate, it activated the configuration at last and I can SSH into it and have my hello command. The container now consumes 900MB of disk space.

So, my question is, how do I include all this stuff in the container template, so that when I run nixinate or nixos-rebuild, it does not redownload everything? I only found this issue, that touches this problem: `nixos-rebuild` ready image · Issue #86 · nix-community/nixos-generators · GitHub, and it kind of explains why that happens, but I’m unable to come up with a proper solution.

Thanks!

I worked around this by making a script, that creates a container from template tarball, runs nixinate on it with minimal config, populating the store and profiles, reboots the container, runs nixinate again to finalize configuration switch and converts it to Proxmox container template. It’s not the cleanest solution, but it’s simpler than I expected and it actually works how I want. As for making a full tarball from scratch, the search continues, but maybe at another time.

FIY I’ve updated the mentioned issue with my solution `nixos-rebuild` ready image · Issue #86 · nix-community/nixos-generators · GitHub
I unfortunately don’t know what is nixinate and whether the update can be of any value to you :frowning:

This is brilliant, thank you so much! I’m not sure how to apply this to LXC images, unfortunately, but I’ll check if it’s possible to, maybe, implement a custom image build configuration that will support this