Issues with display-manager in Plasma LiveCD

Hey folks, sorry if this is just a dumb mistake. I come from distros that are more out-of-the-box ‘just works’ like openSUSE.

Booting with the Plasma LiveCD ISO works, but typing sudo systemctl start display-manager to start Plasma doesn’t. Output of sudo systemctl start display-manager looks fine (loaded, active.)

Trying to run it manually with startplasma-x11 outputs the following: $DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server, and startplasma-wayland works but in a very low resolution that can’t be changed.

I have a Ryzen 5900XT with a Radeon 6700XT, so maybe it’s related to this (would need to install first then reboot and add amdgpu?) Display-manager won't start from live usb on Thinkpad X13 AMD

Thanks in advance :smile:

Update: Installed NixOS anyways and followed all of the steps from the wiki, still same issue as before. In fact, after installing it not even startplasma-wayland works now. Maybe it needs a newer kernel or something? the 5.10.x it ships with should be just fine though

Update 2: It was the kernel, got it to work :smile: never been happier to see sddm
Add boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxKernel.packages.linux_5_15; in your configuration.nix (change the version if necessary) and it will boot. Here’s the post that helped me: RX 6700 XT not supported by amdgpu driver - #2 by jonringer

SInce it’s not Plasma dependent, you might want to try this too in case you’re having similar issues with radeon rx6 series gpus

1 Like