Join us on Matrix at #nix:nixos.org (Migrating from Freenode)

There 1 or 2 “change” option to change your client or homeserver.

@maralorn gave me the detail instructions:

In Element, click the + next to Rooms, choose Explore rooms and paste this into the search bar:

#community:nixos.org

(This didn’t occur to me at first, because I thought that Spaces are “above” rooms, so I didn’t figure that the “Explore rooms” function would do the trick.)

3 Likes

Do we have activity graphs for before/after the move? It seems to me, anecdotally, that the new Matrix chat (and the new “unofficial” IRC) have a low volume of conversations compared to back in the Freenode days - but I don’t have any data handy to back this up.

I have no data. Maybe @grahamc can see something.

One guess I have for why you think Matrix is less active is there are a lot of subspace channels that are allowing people to chat about more specific topics.

It seems to me as well about the IRC channel, but i thought that’s due to a greater fragmentation of the conversation on more channels?

IRC channel also has a bot that kinda litters the chatroom with every new PR and opened issue. That has dissuaded me to ask stuff a couple of times. And of course, the Matrix channel is the official venue.

FWIW I made a chart of daily messages that we’ve seen on matrix (since before the big move):

All of the history of message/day that I have on my database:

Last ~6 months (excluding today as those numbers aren’t complete yet):

These are all the message events I have stored for all of the channels my nixos specific homeserver sees. It only sees message for channels that allow my log bot (~= channels linked to the space that allow guests & history).

4 Likes

Anecdotally speaking: I find it hard to make an estimate of the conversation volume, but I do have two other observations (regarding the Matrix side):

• Now that the main channel no longer has a bot auto-posting repository activity all the time, message volume seems to have gone down but signal:noise ratio has gone up considerably
  • The success rate for people having their questions actually answered seems to have gone up significantly
6 Likes