LUKS+LVM+TPM2 passwordless unlock: "Failed to mount /sysroot"

I’ve set up a fresh NixOS installation using LVM on top of LUKS, and am trying to get the system to unlock the root volume without a password prompt using my system’s TPM2 module. I’ve been using the instructions in the comment here. Unfortunately this seems to result in an unbootable system - see the errors in the attached screenshot.

The relevant parts of my nixos configuration are:

boot.initrd.availableKernelModules = [ "vmd" "xhci_pci" "ahci" "nvme" "usbhid" "usb_storage" "sd_mod" ];
  boot.initrd.kernelModules = [ "dm-snapshot" ];
  boot.initrd.systemd.enable = true;
  boot.initrd.systemd.enableTpm2 = true;
  security.tpm2.enable = true;
  boot.kernelModules = [ "kvm-intel" ];
  boot.extraModulePackages = [ ];

boot.initrd.luks.devices.cryptlvm = {
    device = "/dev/disk/by-uuid/47d8a0a2-900d-45c0-ae63-026238a14601";
    preLVM = true; # luksOpen will be attempted before LVM scan
  };

fileSystems."/" =
    { device = "/dev/WD770VolGroup/root";
      #fsType = "ext4";
    };

fileSystems."/boot" =
    { device = "/dev/disk/by-uuid/D840-BDB1";
      fsType = "vfat";
    };

The TPM key does seem to be registered on the disk:

richard@osaka ~ % sudo systemd-cryptenroll /dev/disk/by-uuid/47d8a0a2-900d-45c0-ae63-026238a14601 
SLOT TYPE    
   0 password
   1 tpm2

If I disable boot.initrd.systemd the system boots again, but prompts for the password. I was wondering if someone more knowledgeable than me might know why my configuration isn’t working.

It looks like you commented out fsType = "ext4";. This cannot be commented out. The initrd only includes kernel modules for file systems that it knows it needs, which is determined by fsType.

As a sidenote, keep in mind that the TPM is something that must be used carefully. It can render disk encryption pointless if you don’t have the system configured right.

1 Like

That does the trick. Amazing! And amazingly fast reply. Thank you.