Nix đź–¤ macOS Monthly

llvm is listed as a release critical package because many downstream packages (e.g. rustc) are very sensitive to how it’s structured and its feature set. So a major change can’t be merged 1 to 5 weeks before branch-off according to the release schedule.

Adding potential regressions while “trying to stabilize for a release” are at odds with each other. It was added after several dozen fixes were needed after a [well intended and very needed] refactor was done to llvmPackages right before the 21.05 release.

AFIAK, there’s nothing else blocking an update to llvm other than someone taking the time to make it happen.

6 Likes

November 2021

At the start of the month I was spending time on getting the SDK bump to work on LLVM 7, this was not fruitful and the only reason was making the 21.11 cut-off deadline so I dropped it. Instead I helped out with ZHF and finished up work on the LLVM 11 bump, which has been merged to staging. Stabilizing is ongoing on staging-next to shake out any remaining problems, like breaking MariaDB because it was updated.

Domen’s call for Darwin maintainers had a good response. The darwin-maintainers team has grown to almost 40 people, this should help with both response times and number of eyeballs on any Darwin issues that pop up. Five new Darwin builders were added to OfBorg to help with Darwin maintenance, very useful for maintainers without access to a Darwin system. These builders are sponsored by MacStadium.

@pxc asked me to shout out @bergkvist’s work on generating small binary wrappers. Darwin does not allow for interpreted scripts to be used as shebang interpreters. Using a binary wrapper for programs that are commonly used as shebang interpreters, like Python, Perl or Ruby, would workaround this limitation.

12 Likes

December 2021

The LLVM bump caused a couple regressions on aarch64-darwin because of generic isDarwin guards I removed, but these were rather easily fixed.

With the LLVM bump completed I’ve been able to focus on the SDK bump. After rebasing libuv, a dependency of the bootstrap-tools, stopped building. I found and fixed the problem during the last week and am now at the point where I can try substituting parts of the SDK distributed by Apple for open source releases that don’t build. This should unblock the SDK bump and allow us to move forward.

11 Likes

January 2022

This month I focused on the SDK. I set out to substitute configd with the SystemConfiguration framework from the SDK. This means the framework and its dependencies need to build from the bootstrap-tools so I had to add print-reexports to the bootstrap tarball. Then I ran into the familiar issue with XNU no longer providing all the availability macros and I set out to patch the affected parts of the SDK. After making headway through two or three frameworks the realization of how many locations that would need to be patched set in so I needed a different approach. I’ve opted to patch Availability.h to redefine availability macros in terms of the modern __API_AVAILABLE style of macros, which are backed by the availability attribute provided by modern compilers. This means we give up the ability to compile things on Darwin that make use of the source releases with older compilers. Next step is figuring out why PCRE doesn’t have pthreads available anymore when being built in stage 3.

9 Likes

February 2022

While waiting for builds to test the hybrid open source releases and SDK frameworks approach, a particularly slow phase of the Darwin stdenv build stood out to me. Libsystem is mostly just a collection of headers from other open source releases. Simply copying some header files from other derivations seemed like it shouldn’t take a significant amount of time. Turns out this assumption was wrong. From my rigorous scientific testing, i.e., running the Libsystem build once with the time command (only Libsystem, not including dependencies), using cpio in the Libsystem build made it take ~250 minutes, or 4 hours and 10 minutes. That’s a lot of minutes.

The motivation for using cpio seems to be its -p flag for “pass-through” mode. This mode accepts paths on stdin and copies the files to a target directory, without creating or extracting an archive. What’s special about this is that it can preserve the relative path when doing so, whereas cp A/B C would copy B to C, echo A/B | cpio -pd C would result in the copy being at C/A/B. As I found out, doing this with other tools is not straightforward. It seems like rsync is the only other copying tool with close to drop-in compatible behavior. However, that’s a more complicated program than we want in the bootstrap-tools.

So I had to roll my own shell function based on cp --parents, which has a similar function but preserves the source’s read-only permissions making it impossible to copy multiple files into the same subdirectory. With the current implementation of CopyHierarchy build times went down to ~75 seconds, this time I re-ran nix-build --check many times because I couldn’t believe the difference. Yes, on my aging machine with a 7200 RPM HDD this is a 200x speedup.

Now that Nix 2.4+ has been released and the broad changes to the manual have made their way to the documentation it has finally become practical to incorporate the uninstallation instructions I wrote up in June. During the discussion of these changes expanding the installer to include uninstallation capabilities came up again. @abathur’s call for contribution to the installer, in particular adding uninstall capabilities, hasn’t been fullfilled yet so it’s still outstanding.

25 Likes

March 2022

Since switching to using the SystemConfiguration framework from the SDK as configd, I’ve been getting the following error when building bootstrapped-pip, a dependency of cups, which I’ve been using as a good litmus test for the macOS frameworks:

Sourcing pip-install-hook
Sourcing setuptools-build-hook
Using setuptoolsShellHook
@nix { "action": "setPhase", "phase": "unpackPhase" }
unpacking sources
unpacking source archive /nix/store/3dki8ikais8yg1npyrznzd39vpg66d79-wheel-0.37.1-source
unpacking source archive /nix/store/nh1m8hjdbrcmslac09dwyk589cp4w1fb-pip-21.3.1-source
unpacking source archive /nix/store/yv7chq5668yzjdzgjiy8kf4sbgavkrqj-setuptools-57.2.0-sdist.tar.gz
source root is .
setting SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH to timestamp 1648839464 of file ./.sandbox.sb
warning: file ./.sandbox.sb may be generated; SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH may be non-deterministic
@nix { "action": "setPhase", "phase": "patchPhase" }
patching sources
@nix { "action": "setPhase", "phase": "configurePhase" }
configuring
no configure script, doing nothing
@nix { "action": "setPhase", "phase": "installPhase" }
installing
Building setuptools wheel...
/private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0/setuptools /private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/nix/store/fkvh5szkvi5c86936p58gk9v0nhlq5gd-python3-3.9.10/lib/python3.9/runpy.py", line 197, in _run_module_as_main
    return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
  File "/nix/store/fkvh5szkvi5c86936p58gk9v0nhlq5gd-python3-3.9.10/lib/python3.9/runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "/private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0/pip/src/pip/__main__.py", line 29, in <module>
    from pip._internal.cli.main import main as _main
  File "/private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0/pip/src/pip/_internal/cli/main.py", line 9, in <module>
    from pip._internal.cli.autocompletion import autocomplete
  File "/private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0/pip/src/pip/_internal/cli/autocompletion.py", line 10, in <module>
    from pip._internal.cli.main_parser import create_main_parser
  File "/private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0/pip/src/pip/_internal/cli/main_parser.py", line 8, in <module>
    from pip._internal.cli import cmdoptions
  File "/private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0/pip/src/pip/_internal/cli/cmdoptions.py", line 23, in <module>
    from pip._internal.cli.parser import ConfigOptionParser
  File "/private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0/pip/src/pip/_internal/cli/parser.py", line 12, in <module>
    from pip._internal.configuration import Configuration, ConfigurationError
  File "/private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0/pip/src/pip/_internal/configuration.py", line 20, in <module>
    from pip._internal.exceptions import (
  File "/private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0/pip/src/pip/_internal/exceptions.py", line 8, in <module>
    from pip._vendor.requests.models import Request, Response
  File "/private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0/pip/src/pip/_vendor/requests/__init__.py", line 135, in <module>
    from . import utils
  File "/private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0/pip/src/pip/_vendor/requests/utils.py", line 28, in <module>
    from ._internal_utils import to_native_string
  File "/private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0/pip/src/pip/_vendor/requests/_internal_utils.py", line 11, in <module>
    from .compat import is_py2, builtin_str, str
  File "/private/tmp/nix-build-python3.9-bootstrapped-pip-21.3.1.drv-0/pip/src/pip/_vendor/requests/compat.py", line 63, in <module>
    from urllib.request import parse_http_list, getproxies, proxy_bypass, proxy_bypass_environment, getproxies_environment
  File "/nix/store/fkvh5szkvi5c86936p58gk9v0nhlq5gd-python3-3.9.10/lib/python3.9/urllib/request.py", line 2620, in <module>
    from _scproxy import _get_proxy_settings, _get_proxies
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_scproxy'

Our Python build is not configured to create _scproxy, so urllib can’t import it. This is intentional, we don’t pass configd to the CPython expression when building python3Minimal because that wouldn’t be minimal. I’m not sure whether it would be desirable anyway since it would require Python to depend on the SDK, which would mean not all of the source code that goes into it is available. This used to be patched out of the Python used for bootstrapping like so:

substituteInPlace Lib/urllib.py --replace "if sys.platform == 'darwin'" "if False"

But that line was removed in this commit. I’m not sure why this problem is surfacing again now since it has been working fine ever since. I’m still looking into this.

I have considered simply dropping the source releases altogether, as was done for aarch64-darwin but this isn’t trivial and would mean dropping most of the open source parts of the Darwin stdenv.

4 Likes

What are the implications of this? Would all packages that require macOS SDK frameworks (or even just the darwin stdenv) become nonfree? It seems like holding on to the open source parts of darwin is increasingly a losing battle.

1 Like

I am actually unsure of the licensing situation. I believe the SDK is supposedly built from the source releases. And AFAIUI Apple’s license is BSD-like. However, parts of the SDK, like XPC don’t have released sources, though we do need XPC in particular if we go with the source releases too. So I think linking to the SDK is fine. Although some source releases, like network_cmds, aren’t part of it. And some headers might only be in the source releases, I think that may be the cause for the scproxy problems.

As far as I can tell, the command-line tools (not sure about Xcode) make an exception only for the open-source components (and I have no idea how that works when the open-source components are incomplete or unavailable). What about the other stuff though? How does that work for e.g., Metal or CoreImage?

April 2022

Something that stood out with the _scproxy issue was the involvement of a bootstrap stage Python in the bootstrapped-pip build. This raised my suspicion that something was wrong with the Python build. Turns out there were errors preventing _scproxy.c from being compiled but these errors were silently swallowed and did not result in a failing build.

The reason for the errors was an issue with the Availability macros. Apple stopped updating them in the open source releases, probably because of the combinatorial explosion of macros with each new version of macOS. They’ve since switched to newer macros, which are backed by the availability attribute in modern Clang and GCC.

My fix is redefining the old macros using the new-style availability attribute. This finally fixed the Python build and completed the substitution of configd by SystemConfiguration from the SDK. Now I can continue bumping Apple’s open source releases.

16 Likes

May 2022

With configd out of the way I was finally able to focus on bumping the actual Apple open source releases we rely on to construct our own source-based SDK. This went swimmingly. I’ve updated about half of the source releases and tracked down some of the headers we were missing, so our SDK will be more complete. So far I haven’t encountered any major, new roadblocks—knock on wood.

19 Likes

@toonn: I see these errors popping up again, after switching default python from 3.9 to 3.10 (currently on the staging-next branch). Very many packages seem to be transitively broken by that. Perhaps you could have a look?

1 Like

Has anyone dared to try upgrading to the Ventura developer beta yet? We’ve gotten lucky with the last 1 or 2 upgrades and things have mostly worked out of the box, but prior to that it’s often been a very painful process.

1 Like

We’ve been talking about this a bit in #macos:nixos.org. I’m looking into this today but there’s only so much I can do because I don’t have access to aarch64-darwin hardware.

What I can already say is that I don’t think the errors are related to the ones I observed. As aarch64-darwin is using SDK 11.0.1 it shouldn’t have issues with the Availability macros.

2 Likes

Right now, x86_64-darwin seems to be broken with the same error message.

1 Like

would you like access? happy to provide

Thanks for the offer, @pjjw, but the Python issue was tracked down to intentionally using python3Minimal for cacert to workaround an infinite recursion issue with mailcap. This has since been rolled back and I believe it was fixed by using fetchurl instead of fetchzip for mailcap, but this hasn’t been confirmed.

I’ll let you know if the need arises again : )

1 Like

June 2022

Continuing to bump source releases. hfs is the only one so far that I haven’t been able to update, newer versions miss headers present in the SDK. I managed to get more of shell_cmds building. Only sudo is still missing but in later versions it may require entitlements so we probably wouldn’t be able to keep it building anyway. I also made some changes to our header checks to include checking for symlinked headers, which are common in the SDK.

The Libc bump is more involved because it used to be an amalgam of three versions and I’m dropping all the old ones, which requires digging through the sources for missing headers. So far it seems viable to drop the older versions.

13 Likes

July 2022

I’m down to only a handful of source releases that still need bumping. Libc still requires one older version because Apple stopped shipping certain headers. The pkill and pgrep commands of adv_cmds still do not build, but colldef and mklocale do. One of the bigger challenges was network_cmds, it depends on OpenSSL. However, Apple’s OpenSSL for macOS 10.13 was at version 0.9.8. The network_cmds in Nixpkgs is currently built with OpenSSL 1.0.2 but the new version wasn’t compatible anymore. Rather than go back to Apple’s older version, I patched network_cmds for compatibility with OpenSSL 1.1.0. Eyes on this would be appreciated.

In other news, @reckenrode :heart: made it possible to use the 11.0 SDK on x86_64-darwin! This was prompted by their work on MoltenVK and additionally motivated by Go 1.18 requiring a newer SDK, not to mention various other projects like Python and Qt. For now the intent is for this to be used sparingly, only for cases where it’s unavoidable.

19 Likes

August 2022

I’ve bumped all of the Apple source releases, configd being the main missing piece. For now we will stick with SystemConfiguration from the Apple SDK as a substitute. This time around, system_cmds was the most troublesome project. I ended up having to drop gcore, lskq, lsmp and zprint but managed to fix the builds for dirhelper, dmesg, dynamic_pager, ltop, pagesize, proc_uuid_policy, taskpolicyandvm_purgeable_stat`, it remains to be seen whether those are requirements for any packages.

The next step is to do a full rebuild on Hydra to check how many failures are introduced by these changes. And then things need to go through review. I’d especially appreciate more eyes on the changes to network_cmds related to OpenSSL. @veprbl already pointed out an initialization issue but I’m sure this can use more scrutiny.

One current technical hurdle is Hydra is not currently building bootstrap-tools, but this is being worked on in PR #183072.

10 Likes