Nix on Windows?

And thanks for the nix-darwin comparison. I get it better now.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification I was also confused but this makes sense.

And thank you for your work everyone! I’m very excited for the doors this will open, even if I don’t use windows myself. Godspeed!

6 Likes

We have a beachhead, Build a minimized Nix with MinGW by Ericson2314 · Pull Request #8901 · NixOS/nix · GitHub is merged!

With that, the work can hopefully proceed in parallel. To kick things off, I’ve opened issues:

Some of them are quite small and self-contained and would be excellent first issues for new contributers!

34 Likes

wait, wasn’t Moby Dick a sperm whale :wink: this is great news - is there a “quick start” for someone having never done it to get what you’ve accomplished setup on Windows? I can fumble around in the dark but probably won’t find it. Anyway, very exciting.

@Qknight posted libnix mingw status just before it was merged, which has some instructions for trying things out.

Of course, we’ll want to make it easier and better tested next!

9 Likes

Nix is going to eat the world! This is huge!

9 Likes

Thanks for this! I got stuck but will try again soon

1 Like

so I finally got around to reading chapter 36 and Moby Dick is a “white whale” indeed and this I found I had to share −

If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near me. Sometimes I think there’s naught beyond. But 'tis enough. He tasks me; he heaps me; I see in him outrageous strength, with an inscrutable malice sinewing it (p. 267)

Still haven’t got nix working in Windows (following Qknight post get an error when I go ahead and :b packages.x86_64-linux.nix-x86_64-w64-mingw32 but no worries. As Ahab says “God bless ye” for working on this. Good things are coming

9 Likes

Another thing passing by my mind:

With some luck we can include Nix on ReactOS as a free platform in the foreseeable future!

7 Likes

libnix volth's work summarizes volth’s windows nix port work and some parts of the discussion in this discourse.

6 Likes