NixCon 2019: In Brno, Czech Republic

Hi guys,

regarding the next NixCon;

can I suggest doing it in Czech Republic?

I’m located in Brno, I could organize all of the needed things if we can agree on doing it there; but there also the Trezor guys, who said why not do it in Prague :slight_smile:

Every year at the first weekend of November there’ OpenAlt conference in Brno, which we’re helping to organize; I think we could fit NixCon in nicely.

I have one question though, seeing as this NixCon is over the end of the work week; is there any particual reason why not do it over the weekend?

NixCon at OpenAlt would mean we would get a lot of room for comparatively little money, as it’s done on a university campus;
accomodation in **** hotels is usually around 60 EUR per night, a bit more affordable than London :wink:

There is BRQ airport, which has Ryanair lowcost flights coming in and there is VIE for the overseas flights (1.5hrs by train from Brno).

So I wanted to let everyone know there’s this possibility, so that we can start discussing it sufficiently ahead of time :wink:

13 Likes

Hi,

I 've had this question discussed with several people in doing it in the Czech Republic, be it Brno or Praha, would be totally fine from my POV.

Regarding the days: I’d rather stick to the layout we had this time (conference on weekdays and hacking on Saturday, Sunday free). But I think doing it in a different way would be no big problem if it would help to find a good venue or help the organisers somehow.

BR
Christian

If it were to be in September (or in summer), I think some university might have free place even on weekdays. (That was impression from my studying time, i.e. this is low-confidence information.)

I very much support Czech Republic, we have a large base there and WriteTheDocs2018 reaffirmed how great experience Prague was (I’m sure Brno would be the similar).

Nice, Czech Republic sounds good to me!

Let’s organise a call some time this week to figure out the details.

The main reason for not doing it over the weekend this year was because London is even more expensive on Sunday. It will be nice to spend less on accomodation and meals for everyone I think.

Let’s do that :slight_smile:

I have something like New Yorkish timezone all the time, so anytime afternoon till late evening is fine for me.

Are there any updates? Do we already have a date and/or a location?

Let’s do October - a beginning or rather end of the month?

I’ve got 2-3 candidate venues, how many people do we want?

I’d go ahead and book them in 1mth time frame from now, so that we can start arranging tickets/sponsors/etc.

October 23. - 25., Brno, CZ;

2 days of talks, 1 for hackaton

250 attendees max;

(I’ve been bit busy and can’t reach zimbatm over IRC that easily, so let’s communicate & coordinate here - basically I’m now just waiting for okay-s on the term and location, so I can start arranging things.)

2 Likes

That sounds sufficient to me. In 2018 we had 120. I heard there was some demand above and we can expect some growth after one year, but still… double sounds big enough to me.

Two days for talks sounds good to me. I can’t personally anticipate the demand for hackathlon or some other similar formats (like the “unconference”-like we had in Berlin 2015 – uh, so long ago already).

When will tickets go on sale?
I’m just trying to get my schedule in order and hit as many events as possible while I’m traveling in Europe.

Brno sounds absolutely awesome to me! Are the location and dates already set in stone?

Is it weekdays on purpose? In London that was the case due to costs if I recall correctly.

Hi guys!

Awesome, finally some reactions, let’s do this!

We’ve booked a place for up to 160 people, because we’ve thought that the planned max capacity of 250 would scale up the numbers too much - and scaling didn’t look justified judging from not that many reactions to the topic here.

Nothing is set in stone, we just have to move quickly.

At this point, we are talking numbers and whether we wish to have it all arranged for the community members - I mean, the event itself + catering, but acommodation as well + some program for the evenings.

I’ll engange Martyet (Martin Myska) to post up details here - so that we can put something more final together.

8 Likes

Would love to go, but I need to be in town during that exact time-frame =[

Will there be any form of remote attendance component for those of us able to attend electronically rather than physically?

I love that talks have been video recorded and posted to YouTube after-the-fact (please carry this tradition on!!), but I’m specifically talking about a live-attendance option (OBS/twitch for talks, VPN for hackathon, other possibilities…).

Otherwise, I’ll just catch the videos online. Either way I hope to be there in-person for NixCon 2020. =]

We will be live streaming just like last year and taking questions on irc :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks snajpa for welcome message :slight_smile:

Right now we are working on getting everything right about spaces and especially sponsors.
As @adisbladis stated, we will be streaming and taking questions on irc :slight_smile:
For now we are looking for sponsors, if you know about anyone, don’t hesitate to contact me on martin@martinmyska.cz.
Lastly @zimbatm will help with website, so stay tuned!

1 Like

Hey guys,

I’m curious how much it would cost to attend? I just graduated university and can’t really afford an expensive conference fee but I will be close to Czechia on the date mentioned and really want to attend (as an enthusiastic user of nixos :slight_smile: )

Will there be an announcement here when it becomes possible to sign up? I’m new to this forum but will try to be more active from now on.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi guys!
time is ticking and we are figuring out everything important about NixCon this year.
First of all, we put minds together and got logo, which is containing the local legendary dragon - you can see it on the link below and i will be happy for any feedback see here.

We got date, place and are working on website!
Everything will happen 25. - 27 October in Impact Hub, here in Brno.
Availability is good by train and airplane too, going by car is not perfect because of insufficient amount of parking lots, but im sure we can handle this later.
Together with information above we figured out website which will be in few days available for all of you with all important informations regarding this conference.

Lastly, for most of you important update about price - after few reactions from sponsors we put together how much will cost ticket. With total capacity of 160 peoples for conference and about 80 for hackday is price for whole conference ticket 450 EUR including hotel and of course food, coffee and other drinks. If you cant join us for all three days, it will be possible to buy ticket for each day separately.

If someone knows about any sponsor which can donate us, please give them my mail to them (martin@martinmyska.cz).

Dont forget to stay tuned for more info!

7 Likes

Will there be a discount for those from Brno who don’t need a hotel?

BTW, the logo looks great.

2 Likes