NixCon 2022 Day 2 - Discussions!

Ask questions, add thoughts and feedback!
All speakers will be responding here, as well as the main channel for lightning talk related Q&A.

Please feel free to add presentation slides, pictures, blogs or other content to nixcon/Paris2022Content: A collection of all the content from NixCon Paris 2022 (github.com)

Thank you to @kip93 for helping set it up :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Can speed talk slides be shared as links or uploaded pdfs? =D

Iā€™m personally interested in all of them!

2 Likes

To take my question furtherā€¦

We talk about purity a lot here on a technical level. However seeing corporate take overs in the past of large open source projects, who primary specialize in closed source productsā€¦ strip mining of open source software ecosystems.

am i right to be cautious, or is everything going to be ok? How do we keep the nix ecosystem pure. I think itā€™s actually impossible.

Let me put in a non technical way,

Imagine your favorite band, you dig their records, however the record company (their pay masters) say they need to make a completely different kind of music. They do, the record flops and the band spits up with a bad taste in their mouths. The fans are distraughtā€¦ how could my favorite band be told what to playā€¦??? How could i let this happen?

So, hopefully Nix can retain artistic control of the the ā€˜productā€™. I strongly believe nix is a work of Computer Science Art.

Having worked for most the big boys, i know all their business practices in the market (or as they refer to ā€˜the battlefieldā€™. ) , and bless em, they have infinite profit to make and mouths to feed. However , they very little concept of playing fair on the cricket pitch. I pointing the finger at all of them.

I guess this question should of been directed at the board, rather than yourself Ron, but if you want to talk further off line, you know where i am.

Iā€™m about to put a large amount of skin into the game and my reputations on the lineā€¦ so i need to know that nix is safe from these potentially negative influences to lose Independence and control.

I donā€™t want to suddenly wake up one morning, and Nix is owned byā€¦say. ā€¦this would be a pure nightmareā€¦

Love what your doing , Iā€™m on board, until i have to jump ship and hit the fork button. ;-).

but the only forks i like, are to eat my lunch, (i use chop sticks)

7 Likes

:wave: @ron,

I also have somewhat of a two-fold question in reaction to your talk.
It seems to somewhat relate to what @nixinator expressed here and during the live Q&A.

1st fold:
Your presentation was mostly about the how, but I didnā€™t hear anything explicit about the why.
@edolstra said yesterday that Nix was originally a ā€œvehicle to write research papersā€. Now, it is a tool with many uses, but there seems to be a recent push to ā€œstart milking itā€: as a tool that helps businesses deliver value a.k.a. make money. Personnally, I donā€™t see anything wrong with making businesses sustainable (but I do see a difference between sustainable and profitable).
IMHO, it is very important that we all acknowledge that there are multiple *visions* cohabiting in the Nix community, and that it is okay.
In that regard, I believe it is important to clarify why, you push for the actions you presented.

2nd fold:
Sorry Iā€™m not gonna accuratly quote you here, but we heard you talk about ā€œsuccessā€ several times during the conference, for the community (ā€œus be successfulā€), and for the users (ā€œhelp them achieve successā€).
Could you define what success is for us, from the community perspective? Could you define success for the different kinds of Nix users?

Thank you :bowing_man:

4 Likes

Hey speakers of Day 2 :wave:, could you please share your slides here?
cc @lheckemann @lewo @ron @thufschmitt @mschwaig @korfuri @Ma27 @lucperkins @Cleeyv @tshaynik @tomberek @yvan-sraka @grahamc @kip93 @fricklerhandwerk

1 Like

Hereā€™s an article with my lightning talkā€™s contents and slides: Nixcon Talk: Let's manage secrets the systemd way :: korfuri's website

4 Likes

Hi! Leandro here!
Sorry, didnā€™t have a discourse account until a few hours ago. Seems I canā€™t upload the slides directly here. Is there some centralised place where I should put the slides?

You could just upload to Github/somewhere and link? =)

The link to ā€œ15 modulesā€ in that page is broken

The slides for my ā€œRevolutionizing my daily development with Nixā€ lightning talk:

2 Likes

Here are my slides for Reproducibly building artifacts that contain embedded signatures:

2 Likes

ā†’ https://slides.mbosch.me/ (or alternatively https://flash.ist.nicht-so.sexy/)

6 Likes

My slides arenā€™t really in a shareable format (a terrible hack consisting of SVG and js files and stuff). I intend to rehash my talk into a text post (which Iā€™m guessing will be much more useful than the slides alone, which provide very little of the information I actually said, anyway). Iā€™ll link that here once Iā€™ve done that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The alternative URL is highly fitting :stuck_out_tongue: Good job, and good presentation!

Here are mine for the (nearly) Rootless Nix daemon lightning talk:

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1WBZ0n6fWO-OIO4e2U0p6f4CgNxK5PzbV

1 Like

The slide of the ā€œnix2container: faster container image rebuildsā€ talk: Nextcloud

1 Like

Slides for ā€œStrong Nixā€ talk

1 Like

Could we rather have a community space hosting these? Iā€™d feel more comfortable than ephemeral personal storages hosted by known volatile party.

2 Likes

If github is an option (as @x10an14 suggested), why not have a repo under the nix-community group where everyone can put their resources, and possibly allow to link to external blogs or whatever?

2 Likes

Great idea. Created a repo for it here under NixCon, nixcon/Paris2022Content (github.com)
Fork it and log a PR with your content attached. If someone wants to create a directory structure, add a copy of the schedule, etc that would be appreciated!

2 Likes