NixCon 2022 Day 2 - Discussions!

Fork it and log a PR with your content attached.

I don’t think you can create a PR on a completely empty repo? (A PR needs a target branch, right?) Could you create a main branch? Maybe just have an empty README.md as a placeholder.

If someone wants to create a directory structure, add a copy of the schedule, etc that would be appreciated!

I wouldn’t mind organizing the repo into some sort folder structure + add the schedule to the README.

My mistake, see if you can try it now.

Here you go ;)

2 Likes

Thanks, this is great! Instead of creating a repo for each year, we can have one for all the years and simply make a directory structure to separate years. It’ll be nice to have everything in one place in future.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Sounds good to me :slight_smile:

I can create another PR to add a “NixCon 2022 - Paris” folder and move everything there, but we should rename the repo to smth like “NixCon-content”, which I can’t do :/

Just made the change for the repo name :slight_smile:

Great! I have a PR ready for the restructure (plus the slides for my talk). After merging that the only thing missing I think is the description on the side of the repo, which still says Paris.

1 Like

Apologies for the delay, it’s been a long journey to settling back at home! I hope you and everyone else made it home safely!

It’s definitely more than ok that the community has multiple visions. It’s a strength in fact, and I expect this diversity of perspectives to continue to enrich the community (and also hope we can keep empowering it through more support to the community and the teams).

Neither myself nor the board are trying to define success for everyone, that’s up to every individual and Nix user to define for themselves. On a personal level, my perspective of success is a place where the Nix “super powers” are more widely understood, leveraged, and appreciated in the software world. I think we as a community are here because we have an appreciation for the beauty that is Nix (lang, package manager, packages etc) and what it means for software at large, and having more people “get it” is my vision of success. This kind of ties into the bit about the “Nix Principles”.

I believe it is important to clarify why, you push for the actions you presented.

This presentation is an attempt to share how the board is thinking about a successful direction for Nix in the world. Again, this is not a prescription at all and it’s only initial thoughts as only recently we have been investing more and more time to research/explore this, please tell us where our perspective is off the mark, and how to improve it! Another personal touch is that one of my key goals was to encourage more conversation about this throughout the entire community so we can work on this together.

That’s also why I spoke about some of these actions, for example, why I emphasized community teams, because I think it’s a way to empower the community to find success in whatever way every person/group see fit.

2 Likes