NixOS Apps for Data Science (AI / ML)

Hello everyone,
I am Alex a.k.a Ari, live in Europe work as researcher and do a lot of coding in Data Science (AI and MK) and “experimenting” with operating systems, mostly RedHat OS (left MS Win 2009, one year after it mac, since 2010 full Linux). As core OS for work I use always (no plan for a change for now) Fedora / Red Hat / CentOS or Scientific Linux, but for testing and experimenting I have tried a lot: debian, ubuntu, linux
mint, popos, pureos, suse, clearlinux intel, gentoo still testing arch. while testing silverblue fedora I read about nixos, tried it yesterday and I am impressed by the uniqie packaage managment system.
back on Sunday at work for more NixOS time (silverblue fedora OS+Nix pkg manager with DE:i3 or bspwm) true power of Linux and FOSS, the freedom and option to choose.

My specific question and interest is any specific native build NixOS apps for Data Science, data mining or ML/AI, or any advice based on experience or practice in that field in NixOS would be of use to me.

EDIT: this is a great community and respect to the entire nix team+community for the wonderful job.

Live Long and Prosper :vulcan_salute:
Ari.

1 Like

I started writing derivations for models + corresponding software in Nix. I can give colleagues some the commit SHAs of my repository and nixpkgs to reproduce the same model + software:

I also generate layered docker images from the above derivations using Nix:

Not sure if this would be the kind of example you had in mind.

thank you very much I will look at it in more details when I get back at work from read did not see the relation to data science (DS), even if their is no native apps for DS (only few linux distro’s have that), experience based advice for doing data science or data mining on nixos would be also valuable, by AI and ML I mean Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, I do coding for neural networks with test datasets.

Thank you again Daniel @danieldk for your time and for the information, will look into it for more details.
Ari.

My linked example consists of tensorflow-based applications and models.

nixpkgs has quite many data-science and machine learning related packages, such as numpy, Tensorflow, Torch, Jupyter, liblinear, libsvm, MKL, etc. Where applicable, in these packages can typically be installed with CUDA support.

1 Like

thank you I will have a look, have not used or know most of them, but Jupyter is great under Fedora.

Ari.