NixOS foundation status quo

My bad, I thought that an h2 header of “Eelco steps down from the board” means that Eelco will in fact step down from the board. Maybe I missed the part where it says that it isn’t meant to be taken literally, and is instead just a statement on general vision for the future.

And yes, I do in fact see malice in Eelco’s actions, when he has had years to clarify his good intentions, and chose to break trust, have undisclosed conflicts of interest, stick his head in the sand, and try to use the rifts in the community for his company’s PR. NixOS Community has a lot of commercial actors, and none of them have done half of what Eelco has done to look as hostile as possible.

Btw, you don’t actually have to defend your coworker for their misdeeds. Eelco’s many misbehaviors don’t make you a bad person by association, so feel free to speak out. I’ll only judge you for your own faults - such as sabotaging documentation efforts, which you haven’t addressed at all as far as I can see, and another coworker tried to do it in your stead.

7 Likes

I explained myself in other venues (namely the documentation room in Matrix) and made amends with all parties. Everyone directly involved has moved on from this episode.

1 Like

I decided to check - and indeed, you did explain yourself in the docs room in Matrix (link (can be viewed publicly). I also saw Domen highlighting that you didn’t manage the conflict of interest correctly link. You handled the conflict gracefully and stepped down, and Domen offered apologies for being too harsh in places.

So yes - you explained yourself, and I think amends were made. If you feel like I missed something or left something crucial out for your defense - feel free to speak up. I publicly accused you, so you do have the right to have your name be cleared of doubts. Also, I feel like I owe you an apology - directing an accusation was a dirty move from my part. I have my reservations about how the situation was handled from what I’ve seen. I won’t assume your intentions - but your explanations are enough for me to think that they could be pure and in good faith, so I’ll assume that unless I’m confronted with evidence of the opposite.

However, I disagree that everyone has moved on. As Domen highlighted - the issue still circles back to Eelco, because he held the largest conflict of interest there, being your boss, project BDFL and also a member of Foundation, which was the closest thing to an authority figure back then. I mentioned that you handled the conflict gracefully. You accepted the criticism, made a statement, and resigned. Eelco did not handle the conflict gracefully - he made a statement that claims he resigns, and just continued doing more of the exact same thing.

I don’t know you as a person or what happens in DetSys internally, but I want to say this. Reading back your statement from documentation incident, you apologize for any potential harm caused by your mistakes - and that’s valid. But you also apologize for any potential harm caused by DetSys the company - and I do not accept that. You are not DetSys. You are not the company. You are not an official representative of the company. You are also not your own boss. You are also not the single largest authority figure in the NixOS community. There’s a person who’s all of that at the same time, and he has a name, and his name is Eelco Dolstra, and he is the one who owes the apology for HIS actions and for actions of the company that HE is taking charge of. This is not your apology to give, not your responsibility to take, and not your conflict to manage.

And this is precisely the problem. You might have the best of intentions - but you dance around Eelco as if he’s an infant, unable to defend himself, unable to take criticism and responsibility for his actions. I don’t blame you for it - you are giving him a good faith reading. A lot of people have done that. I’ve done that. I went ahead and tried to make Eelco a defense case that he himself absolutely refuses to give or acknowledge, because I tried to put my good faith into him. That happened time and time again, with many very different people, to the point that most people stopped trying, and the community is fractured into pieces.

So I’m sorry to say, but the best reading I can give is that your coworker is clueless and irresponsible to an astronomic degree. But I find it unlikely, so the conclusion I come to is that your coworker is malicious. So please, don’t defend a malicious person - this isn’t something noble, this is just affirming their damaging ways. If Eelco still has it in him to care, he’ll do fine defending himself.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I’m going to opt not to engage further on this, but I did want to express that I appreciate your apology and you seeking out further information with an open mind.

1 Like