Nixos get together in Groningen?

Dear Nix(OS) users, I would like to ask if there are users among us that would like to get together for an (informal) meetup in Groningen, the Netherlands.
For deepening our understanding about the interiors of Nix and what one can and has done with it so far.
I envision a place where absolute beginners and experienced users alike could find a way in exchanging thoughts, ideas and best practices in using Nix.
Any users here who would like to participate or comment on this endeavor?

3 Likes

I would be interested. Though, since Nix as a package manager is interesting to a wider audience, it may be worthwhile trying to find some existing Linux user group as well.

Since I have been abroad for 5 years before returning to the Groningen area, I am not really up to speed on what people are organizing.

Since the timing was perhaps not right and with most off the holidays behind us, another try to bring this topic up again.
Thank you Daniel for your reply, lets see if this bump stirs up some more enthousiasme.

I would be interested, and I know of two or three other people that would also be interested.

I am in the north of the Netherlands as well, and have quite some experience with nix, so happy to join if something is organized.

@JorisE and @confususs might also be interested?

NixOS noob checking in, I’d like to be there =]

1 Like

@patrickswijgman are you also up for this?

Count me in! I’ve just started using Fedora for professional reasons, NIX only makes more sense now :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you all for joining the conversation, c0deaddict has been busy asking others to join!
Rob would be willing to share his experience which would be great.
I know of someone else who would like to join so that would be seven persons right now.
Might be time to start searching for an location/sponsor, great :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes I would also like to be there although I am still a Nix Noob :stuck_out_tongue:

For the first meetup we can use my employer’s office (Devhouse Spindle, in Groningen) and Spindle can also sponsor drinks & snacks.

I guess the next steps would be to create a meetup page, find speaker(s), pick a date and spread the word.

What a marvelous gesture from your employer, many thanks for the offer!
So that would mean a location is at hand, will set up a Meetup page to stirr some attention there.
Anyone who would like to do a small talk/presentation or has other ideas for this first get together?

Edit: Eh… turns out Meetup is a payed service and needs a credit card, so that’s a no go for now.

I’d love to join too👍

So for this to get going we need some speakers!
I would therefore like to ask the greater Nixos community close to Groningen (Germany - UK) if someone would be willing to give a talk about the internals of Nix(os). This doesn’t have to be a evening talk during midweeks, could also be a one day weekend event?
By spreading the word we could even stirr some interrest from the University of Groningen people who run a HPC cluster?
Nixos is used on HPC clusters afterall, GitHub - freuk/awesome-nix-hpc: high performance computing related nix resources
Since travel or other costs could be involved, we might even need a sponsor for that.
If necessary one can contact me by pm on this forum.

Just a heads up for this topic, been talking to someone behind the scenes who is much experienced in using Nix(Os) who would be willing to do some kind of talk. Not something definite yet because of time constrains, but the idea is still alive!

1 Like

If it does materialize, ping me :slight_smile:

To get things rolling, we could also consider planning some informal meeting short-term (in other words, go to some pub :wink: ).

Another fun option would be to hold some bi-weekly or monthly reading group where we’d go through e.g. Eelco’s PhD thesis. (I am partway through, but it’s more fun to discuss it with others.)

Pub sounds good to me :+1: Let’s pick a date!

Maybe someone can use one of those date picker sites and we can indicate availability? (I am not really up to speed with these :wink: , not sure if there is any evolution beyond Doodle or Datumprikker.)