NixOS is not dying, please don't spread fear actively

As I’ve already said:

And his article is indeed misleading, but it does not mean that these remarks are really true. If you were in the audience for his business, you might think “that’s true!” and continue to give DetSys your faith, but you’re not, so why take this article seriously?

We are not the target audience for this article. The target audience for this article is the DetSys “community” (they still have a community roughly), and DetSys business partners. The main purpose of this article is to make these people feel that the situation is not so bad for DetSys. It’s just that we saw and spread this article within the NixOS community.

6 Likes

Yes, but we should’ve been spoken to first. The words should’ve come from the board first, and all others second.

3 Likes

I’m not defending Eelco Dolstra, I’m just talking about something that people usually ignore.

Eelco has the dual role of DetSys manager and de facto top manager of the NixOS community, but he did not grasp the responsibilities of both roles.

Eelco Dolstra’s purpose in posting this article is not to provoke or threaten other members of the community. Understanding this is very important for our current relationship with existing members. I don’t think it’s helpful to exaggerate contradictions too much, rather, we should keep things as-is.

4 Likes

Thanks. You may be right. I might give him benefice of doubt, and will wait for the board statement.

I’m a bit pessimistic, because other members of the community already explained they could not longer give him that benefice, after too many betrayals felt. But I’ll certainly prefer to do this from my own reasons, rather than following others.

4 Likes

Sorry I did not mean to imply that you were or are.

If there are two houses, and one is on fire, and you, holding the hose, first walk to the house that isn’t on fire and assure the owners of the house that you won’t let it burn down… in effect you’ve also spoken to the owners of the house that is burning down.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: I believe this was not a very strong demonstration of “power”, rather the opposite.

I believe flakes are not accepted in nixpkgs, or is it?

Now, this is an important point to address. I believe the right place to do this is NixOS Foundation Event Sponsorship Policy

This topic’s purpose is a call to action to prevent fear from sending the wrong message to outsiders. NixOS is not dying. This Eeco person can’t kill the project, not even with a thousand blogposts to the wrong audience, it’s your and my responsibility to do that through constructive actions.

that isn’t on fire

I’m sure you can see that this metaphor is inappropriate. If there was no crisis, then of course there would be no reason for him to do this. I should also point out that DetSys is a commercial company. DetSys is not primarily an open source community. Just because you can consider the two side by side doesn’t mean Eelco Dolstra can too.

I’m not saying that what Eelco Dolstra did was not inappropriate, he certainly (again, true to his style) failed to clarify the stakes and once again put the NixOS community in an uncomfortable position. From the perspective of the NixOS community, he is indeed unqualified in handling these issues, so it is necessary to elect a new leader or team of leaders.

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

At the time of you writing that, it was not prohibited. Just look at the timestamps, the post by rhendric is from 2024-04-28 16:57, while your claim is from 2024-04-29 2:09, hence the statement you made was incorrect.

And about the current state, the question whether infinitely re-iterating the same points over and over again or sealioning ever deeper into each fractal detail are actual discussions, is a different aspect in itself.

7 Likes

I mean either you or hexa is wrong :person_shrugging:

Flakes were merged in cppnix despite RFC 49 being ultimately rejected. Again this is a demonstration of power

1 Like

You and wombat either have serious trouble understanding the concepts of grammatical tense (hint: past tense), strictly monotonous progression of time (hint: time stamps), and how both of these work together; or you are deliberately just bringing up the same things over and over again, even attempting to shift unrelated topics into that direction.

Please make up your mind which of these is the case, and then stop acting so ridiculously innocent.

14 Likes

I will not accept such ad-hominem and I demand an apology. Pls make your point clear.

Now you are just miss-representing the facts. RFC 49 was not about pushing flakes, it was about formalizing the flake format. The consensus was that at that point to continue the flake experiment for an undefined period of time and reopen the RFC process once people feel more familiar with it to form opinions. That is why, until this day, flakes are hidden behind the experimental features flag.
The reason why flakes are everywhere is that the Nix user base fond them compelling enough to adopt them at large is because they found this feature so useful they decided to adopt even though it was just experimental. The was no obvious abuse of power here that pushed people for adoption, the opposite is true. NIxpkgs and NixOS refer to channels first and foremost in their documentation, making what I can only assume is a conscious effort to dance around the fact that flakes are becoming the new standard.

I struggle do see what your actual overall point is in this conversation, but please stop to derail it further.
Being right just for the purpose of being right serves no purpose at all, even if it were true.

13 Likes

Hm, was this actually the case? I wasn’t following closely at that point, but what I see is:

Shepherd team has unanimously agreed to accept the RFC.

Then, FCP got restarted

Then, the shepards team reached consensus that the RFC is Ok-ish, and that we don’t need an RFC for experimental features:

As I recall it, the concensus in the last meeting was that:

1. Experimental features don’t require RFCs
  2. We do not concensus on what the final form of flakes should look like in, or perhaps even roughly what it should like
  3. It’s best best to try to reach it empirically, via the unstable feature.
  4. Some people wanted to merge the RFC (amended to make the above clear) anyways. The rest had no objection.

And then the RFC was closed with flakes remaining experimental feature until today.

12 Likes

What was the intended effect of this post?

1 Like