Nixos pkgs search

Hello all,

Since past week I have noticed the install link displayed on NixOS Search displays nix-env -iA nixos.nomachine-client rather than nix-env -iA nixpkgs.nomachine-client

the install works after I change the link to nix-env -iA nixpkgs.nomachine-client though. However I have noticed that by default unstable channel used to display nixpkgs link and not nixos. I suppose something has changed if this is not an error and an intended behaviour.

it’s just the channel name, and shouldn’t affect too much assuming the channels are follow similar releases. (unstable vs release)

I think the search page is being iterated on, which is why you saw the change.

1 Like

the package search page historically displayed the install link as nix-env -iA nixpkgs.nomachine-client for the unstable channel - presumably aimed at folks like me who use just nix and not nixos. However since past few weeks (atleast thats when I noticed it, could have been longer) the install link changed.
Nothing major just a minor annoyance wherein the link needs to be manually changed.
I prefer copying the link for the install since nix-env -qa|grep pkg.name is a huge resource guzzler and freezes my 4 gig thinkpad.
Anyhow thanks for the response and I love the overall work of NixOS as well as Nix.

2 Likes