Rather thrilled to share some fantastic news to get us all going into the week (even if it’s a Tuesday)!
As many of you know, we’ve been actively exploring several options to secure the future of our storage requirements following the end of LogicBlox’s generous sponsorship. Many of you have been rigorously contributing to this effort, which has been nothing short of amazing.
We’re excited to announce that the folks at AWS have committed to sponsoring all our storage costs for the next 12 months ($9,000/month)! This gesture not only addresses our immediate concern about the “short term” side of this effort - maintaining stability - but also buys us ample time to focus on sustainable long-term solutions without pressure.
Staying on AWS ticks all three of the boxes that we called out as key priorities for the short-term resolution: zero risk, as we aren’t changing anything beyond the account/payment, zero costs, and longevity (previous update).
This fast resolution (~14 days!) is yet another example of the power and passion of our community who, at a moment’s notice, once again rallied around this.
Enormous appreciation to the AWS Open Source Strategy & Marketing and OpenData teams for their commitment, to Mila Zhou and to everyone else involved in this effort, who worked at a fast pace alongside us to understand our needs and provide support. A special thank you to Bernardo Meurer Costa (@lovesegfault) who has been working closely across teams to move this forward!
Having this short-term issue resolved allows our Infra team to research and develop long-term solutions with greater focus and less urgency. We will continue to explore various options, from data optimization strategies to potential partnerships with other providers. If you’re interested in joining those efforts, please let the Infra team know or jump into the thread.
- Credits of $9,000 / month have been approved. The AWS team will evaluate if these credits will be provided monthly or in a lump sum format (quarterly/yearly)
- AWS open source credits are approved on an annual basis; we will need to reapply in June of 2024
- Credits can’t be used for prior months - this is fine as we are within the timeframe generously provided by LogicBlox and we also have reserves if needed
- We’ll keep the AWS team in the loop as efforts are made around the long term resolutions and cost optimizations
- Next Step: The foundation will work with LogicBlox to migrate the payments to the NixOS account where the credits will be available
We’ve also been in contact with the AWS Open Data team, who are working with us in parallel to explore a potential longer-term option. The Nix binary cache is a unique corpus of compiled software with some interesting and easy to access metadata, and as such is interesting for them to store. We had our first meeting with the team this week and:
- Shared an overview of Nix
- Discussed our situation and the potential for growth over the next two years
- Explored the Open Data program
The team will follow up with us for next steps.
We look forward to keeping everyone informed and involved in our progress. In the meantime, I hope folks take a moment to celebrate this great news and have it kick off a great rest of the week.
Thank you again to everyone who contributed across all the various channels and threads!
Another special thank you to @AmineChikhaoui for constantly supporting this across Nix and LogicBlox.
Please comment/add any further topics and items!