Noogle – like Hoogle but for Nix

Really cool, @hsjobeki!

Context: https://hoogle.haskell.org

45 Likes

It would be nice to also include the builtins.

4 Likes

Just pushed a new commit including all the builtins. :wink:

10 Likes

Very nice. Will the trivial builders eg symlinkJoin be in scope for this project?

2 Likes

Ok, but what’s Hoogle?

footnote

Ok, I can guess by reverse inference from what this site shows, but really, why assume?

Hoogle is this site but for Haskell :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Damn functional programmers with their recursion…

7 Likes

@uep thanks – you caught a blind spot there. Updated the top post.

explicit > implicit :heart:

1 Like

Looks like some of the trivial builders could be added with a little work.
I thought it might make sense to extend the scope even further, because i‘d like to also explore e.g ‚stdenv.mkDerivation‘ with all the attributes explained. I will need some time to figure things out, then it might make sense to add all nixpkgs functions; one context after another until we can search really everything.

2 Likes

For drv-parts I already ported the interface of mkDerivation to the module system. The types are already there, just the descriptions are missing (as of now).

The modules in drv-parts could be used as a data source for noogle.
To add information about other package functions like buildPythonPackage, for example, one could just port those to drv-parts as well.

This would benefit drv-parts and noogle at the same time.

4 Likes

Hooray! I’ve looked for something like this a few times and just navigated to the forum to ask about it. Glad I searched once more! Thanks @hsjobeki (and @fricklerhandwerk for posting about it).

2 Likes

trivial-builder have been added today. Also they don’t document their typed-signatures, the examples and descriptions are indexable.

→ If you’re missing some functions from trivial-builders it may not be documented or missing the documentation strings. (in pkgs/trivial-builders.nix)

2 Likes

Thanks @phaer for adding openSearch to noogle.
Noogle can now be used as search-engine directly from within the browsers search field.

4 Likes

I just discovered this, and it’s really great - thanks! Can’t wait for more static typing :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: