Problem with configuration.nix and gnome3 settings

Hey guys!

I am currently trying to create a configuration.nix and add gnome3 settings to it, like enable and configure extensions, configure nautilus and so on…

But a lot of settings don’t work. For example adding desktop icons as favorites and enable extensions. I use the following:

services.xserver.desktopManager.gnome3.extraGSettingsOverrides = ''
    [org.gnome.shell]
    enabled-extensions=['dash-to-dock@micxgx.gmail.com', 'nightthemeswitcher@romainvigier.fr']
    favorit-apps=['org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop', 'firefox.desktop', 'thunderbird.desktop', 'spotify.desktop', 'code.desktop', 'org.remmina.Remmina.desktop', 'org.gnome.Terminal.desktop']
'';

But after installation of the system it is set to default (empty ). Same for a lot of other settings.

What am I doing wrong? Or is there another way?

BR
panda

Looks like you have a typo: favoritfavorite.

Also note that the overrides only affect the defaults so if you have already configured the options, you will need to reset them using dconf reset /org/gnome/shell/enabled-extensions so that the system can fall back to the default value.

This is getting documented in nixos/gnome3: add docs by worldofpeace · Pull Request #86288 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub

For better configuration support we have to wait on nixos/dconf: Allow creating custom databases · Issue #54150 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub, or use home-manager, which has dconf.settings option.

2 Likes

Thanks! Will give a try later on. But still enabled-extensions=['dash-to-dock@micxgx.gmail.com', 'nightthemeswitcher@romainvigier.fr'] stays empty. Or other functions like:

[org.gnome.GWeather]
temperature-unit='centigrade'
speed-unit='kph'

[org.gnome.nautilus.list-view]
default-zoom-level='small'
use-tree-view=true

[org.gnome.nautilus.preferences]
default-folder-viewer='list-view'

I will have a look into home-manager too