Rebuild nixos with musl

i meant to check if it was built in the nix cache, so that i could rule it being a me problem or a package problem. Since i’m building it not using nix cache, if the cache happend to be ok, then it was a me problem, if the cache was broken, it would be a packaging/versioning problem.

I’m opening an issue right now to update it

here: Build failure: go-1.22.4 · Issue #322760 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub

Oh, pretty much nothing will be in the nix cache if you are using the musl native bootstrap

btw, thank you very much, you are helping me a lot and giving me some great learning experiences…

1 Like

I’m glad I could help out!

Beware, you are like the third person I hear of who is actually trying to build a full nixos system with musl libc, so this is very much not ready for prime time or ‘polished’ yet. Feel free to continue to try, but the go issue will not be the last one you run into, and upgrading your system will require significant time and effort because things are not tested against musl.

3 Likes

Guess i’ll be testing against musl, this will also be a great opportunity to learn more about nixOS

i went fedora → arch → gentoo → nixos, i like to learn new things and learned a lot with other distros, however I was facing 2 learning impairments with nixos:

1. after setting it up, it didn’t break, nor behaved unexpectedly after a update
  2. after you learn the basics of configuring the system, you have no reason to understand what goes under the hood, why i rarely compile software in a source based distro? why flakes? how does it build a package from a file like 100 lines and not need any input from me?

those are the questions I was asking myself and honestly, can’t seem to get a good doc for nixos, it is scattered around the nixoswiki, nixpkgs reference manual, flake reference manual, nixos reference manual… They are full of info, but lacking in the conciseness and explanation departments

using musl to break stuff will teach me a lot, and will help me to give back to the community

5 Likes

That’s a great mindset :slight_smile:

Also feel free to upstream musl-specific fixes for packages to Nixpkgs; if they’re not unreasonably unmaintainable, they’re usually welcome additions.

3 Likes

Hint: the Nixpkgs monorepo is the real wiki

2 Likes

For this kind of mindset and if it’s not already done, read in depth (and practice) the Nix Pills Preface - Nix Pills

1 Like