Removing KDE breaks git

Hi there,
I have a very strange problem that I’m hoping someone can help me with. My current setup has both KDE Plasma and Hyprland like so:

######### Enable SDDM, KDE, Hyprland ###########
  services.xserver.enable = true;
  services.displayManager.sddm = {
    package = pkgs.kdePackages.sddm;
    enable = true;
    extraPackages = with pkgs; [ qt6.qt5compat ];
    theme = "where_is_my_sddm_theme";
  };
  services.xserver.desktopManager.plasma5.enable = true;
  programs.hyprland.enable = true;

xdg.portal.enable = true;
  xdg.portal.extraPortals = [ pkgs.xdg-desktop-portal-hyprland pkgs.xdg-desktop-portal-gtk ];

######### End SDDM, KDE, Hyprland ###########

Recently I tried to remove KDE Plasma by removing the services.xserver.desktopManager.plasma5.enable = true; line from my configuration. This presents some challenges because there are a bunch of KDE packages that I want to keep using, but it introduced a catastrophic bug with git.

Whenever I tried to git push, my laptop would become entirely unresponsive – screen frozen, no inputs. I have not observed it un-freezing itself.

I think the issue is something to do with removing KDE’s secret manager, since I was able to resolve the issue by re-installing Plasma, and generating a new GitHub Personal Access Token. I have two questions I’m hoping someone can help me with

• How can I remove Plasma and it’s components so that this bug does not re-appear; and
  • This behaviour seems very bad, but I’m not sure if it’s a problem with NixOS, Hyprland, or KDE. How should I go about fixing it?

Thanks!

This sounds familiar to another topic I read here: Git-related softwares make NixOS freeze

That fix worked! I’m still using kwallet as well. I really don’t understand what these options are doing but I guess I’ll live with that :slight_smile:

I had the exact same problem, you could either reinstall the ksshaskpass and kwallet if you wanted to keep using those, and change the GIT_ASKPASS environment variable with the location to the new packages in the nix store (with ${pkgs.packageName}/binaryLocation). Or just use a different askpass entirely, where you would still need to set env variable.

Yeah I ended up switching to gnome and seahorse :sweat_smile: