RFC 92 Status update

Hi all. I wanted to give a slight status update for the upstreaming of RFC 92. There is a tracking issue, Tracking issue for RFC 92: Dynamic derivations · Issue #6316 · NixOS/nix · GitHub, but that is mainly a checklist. Time to write some text :).

This past Monday, @roberth and I have a very productive marathon code review session. Among other things, we got my almost 3 year old Introduce `StoreReferences` and `ContentAddressWithReferences` by Ericson2314 · Pull Request #3746 · NixOS/nix · GitHub merged, which did some cleanups of content addressing necessary to implement this feature in a sustainable manner.

Next on the docket is Derivations can output "text-hashed" data by Ericson2314 · Pull Request #3959 · NixOS/nix · GitHub , the first non-preparatory PR (!), which allows derivations to create derivations. I welcome anyone curious to have a look at at — @amjoseph already left some nice comments, independently arriving at basically the same vision as I have for how this stuff should end up looking like :slight_smile:.

I hope now that we are “on to features”, we will be able to pick up the pace on getting things reviewed. And hope inviting you all to have a look, we can also work on the overarching goal of getting more contributors to Nix itself!

18 Likes

First link is wrong? It points to RFC 134 not RFC 92

2 Likes

@bew Sorry about that, I think I have fixed it now?

Nope, still points to #134

I fixed the link.

Thank you for the status update John, I am very much looking forward to utilizing this feature in the future.

3 Likes

Dynamic derivations RFC 92 by Ericson2314 · Pull Request #4628 · NixOS/nix · GitHub is merged, the MVP has landed!

I’m on my phone, and Firefox is being weird, so instead of typing something up go read what Robert (tireless reviewer!) wrote in Dynamic derivations RFC 92 by Ericson2314 · Pull Request #4628 · NixOS/nix · GitHub

14 Likes