Sddm seems to be requiring both password and fingerprint

I’ve just started to use NixOS, and 'm trying my best to keep it all inside the nix configuration. I’ve also never used sddm before, so I don’t know if it could be an issue with it. Here’s all I got in my configuration related to sddm,:

systemd.services.fprintd = {
    wantedBy = [ "multi-user.target" ];
    serviceConfig.Type = "simple";
  };
    services.fprintd.enable = true;
services.displayManager.sddm = {
        wayland.enable = true;
        theme="catppuccin-mocha";
        package = pkgs.kdePackages.sddm;
    };
environment.systemPackages = with pkgd; [
    catppuccin-sddm
];

I believe it might have something to do with pam, and searching about it confused me even more lol. How can I configure it for the password and the fingerprint be both sufficient? (requiring only one of them, not both)

This is an issue with sddm. It doesn’t actually need your password and your fingerprint, it doesn’t check the password. So you can just press enter then use your fingerprint. There’s a long standing PR that attempts to fix this but it has not been merged yet.

1 Like

Wow, 5 years old. Doesn’t provide a lot of confidence that it will get fixed at all, nevermind anytime soon…

Oh thanks, so it isn’t related to NixOS at all, Nice! That means that NixOS is the only system I’ve never had any problems with, amazing

The situation is a bit complicated. KDE has been flirting with the idea of forking SDDM but as far as I know it hasn’t happened yet. You can see a discussion about it that might help explain the context of the situation w.r.t. SDDM maintenance.

2 Likes