Solene'% : Linux $HOME encryption with ecryptfs

Should work on NixOS :ok_hand: using security.pam.enableEcryptfs = true; for the full home encryption, and adding ecrytpfs package to your user environment (it may be nice to rename it ecryptfs-utils to match every other Linux distribution naming).

4 Likes

Is Solene% a speed run category where the completion condition is reproducing your config?

(sorry for the shitpost lol)

3 Likes

I’m not sure I understood what you meant. I didn’t use NixOS at all here, so I can’t share any “known to work” configuration :wink:

I’m not sure I understood what you meant.

This is just high entry barrier shitpost.

There are gaming communities and competitions dedicated to speedrun - like GamesDoneQuick and Tasvideos.

They have many categories, typically revolving around percentage of completion.

100% corresponds to “pick all collectible items”

Any% corresponds to “fastest possible”

noglitch% corresponds to “fastest possible not using programming backdoors” (like, say, forcing Yoshi to eat an item that overwrites the memory and spits EndOfGame)

Blind% corresponds to play with blindfold

And so on…

4 Likes

I get it now, thanks :smiley: While I’m a gamer, I never took a look at speedruns :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Is ecryptfs still safe to use? I am planning to use it to protect btrfs subvolume which contains credential data before the fscrypt integration is done, but I’m worried since ecryptfs does not receive any update after 2016.

I think it’s safe. What’s old are ecryptfs-utils, which shouldn’t receive any attention once they work, and they do.

Ecryptfs is also a kernel component, which is still receiving updates, the last one was 3 weeks ago https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/fs/ecryptfs

Oh, that’s a good news, apparently I misunderstood the implementation of ecryptfs.

I’m a very casual/irregular speedrun fan, but it’s a cool world to dive into now and again. I think it would naturally appeal to many hackers because in many speedrun categories, players are essentially using extreme skill to try to get the games to do things they were never intended to do. There’s a certain irreverent beauty and genius to it.