Sway fails with "Cannot create GLES2 renderer" after update

Hi, I’ve been using Sway with NixOS for a little while, but I recently ran nix flake update on my config, and now Sway fails to build. You can see the last working build here: kfish610/dots. I reverted to that commit and it still worked, so it definitely is caused by the update, though I’m uncertain what exactly caused it. The old nixpkgs was from 4/8 (April 8th), and was updated to 5/15, though I suppose it could also be the home-manager update (from 4/10 to 5/17).

The exact error I get is as follows:

error: builder for '/nix/store/dshmckn493cdp2ysbqib40wmljdkr8jx-sway.conf.drv' failed with exit code 1;
       last 2 log lines:
       > 00:00:00.001 [wlr] [render/fx_renderer/fx_renderer.c:601] Cannot create GLES2 renderer: no DRM FD available
       > 00:00:00.001 [sway/server.c:150] Failed to create fx_renderer
       For full logs, run 'nix log /nix/store/dshmckn493cdp2ysbqib40wmljdkr8jx-sway.conf.drv'

I did run nix log as it requested, but it just gives the same two lines of errors. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Here’s my neofetch output if it’s useful:

Just come across this too - seems specifically to be an issue with swayfx. There’s an open issue for it on home-manager: bug: (swayfx) sway.conf fails to build: Can not create GLES2 renderer: no DRM FD available · Issue #5379 · nix-community/home-manager · GitHub

You can disable configuration checking as a temporary fix: checkConfig = false.

1 Like