System freezes (only during big updates)

Currently not much:

1. It shall be a desktop now, I’d not use the features of a laptop anyway
  2. If available a Ryzen
  3. Dualboot windows for casual games
  4. It shall have some kind of GPU, though I am not sure which.
  5. No WiFi
  6. It needs to have at least 2 HDMI plugs capable to do 4k + 2k

security reasons or…?

More like cutting costs for a computer that won’t be moved and also wouldn’t have good signal from where it is intended to be used, and if I ever decide to require WiFi for it, I have 3 WiFi USB Adapters and a combined eth and WiFi card.

If course, if there is a computer fulfilling most of my needs but has WiFi and is cheaper than an otherwise comparable one without WiFi, I’d probably take the cheaper one.

1 Like

well… Surely I will replace this laptop. When it will irretrievably die…

Yeah, I have to be honest, I still have a Dell Latitude with a core2duo, which I bought in 2013 from a refurbisher, as my previous laptop literally burst in flames and I needed something cheap quick as I had my studies beginning a week later.

It is still working as of today, and I keep it updated.

actually, seems an irretrievable death (even if there are sturdy ones).

do you refer to the hardware side?

No, software. Though of course it becomes slower everyday, and today the battery died. It doesn’t get charged anymore and the battery led is blinking orange.

hopefully you can find a spare battery.

On my side, I grew fond on this t430. It simply does everything I need and it still has some room for hardware upgrades.

Today I did upgrade to 21.05 and it froze again:

I then:

• rebooted
  • upgraded again

after the upgrade ended:

• most of the plasma functionalities seemed broken. I rebooted again and now I am stuck with an error: symbol 'grub+alloc' not found :smiley: