Hi, everyone! A newbie question -
I used to have 19.03 on one of my workstations. It has an old Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 card. Today after I upgrade it to 19.09, it fails to start the display manager. My debugging so far:
- It is still working if I boot from an older generation with
- NixOS 19.03
- Kernel 4.19.69
- Nvidia driver 418
- It failed to start the display manager from my latest generation
- NixOS 19.09
- Kernel 4.19.79
- Nvidia driver 435
- However, if I disable the nvidia driver in the new generation, I can start display manager normally, although the graphics become really laggy.
- I tried to downgrade to NixOS 19.03, but cannot get it to kernel 4.19.69 any more in the new generation. I can confirm that the new kernel 4.19.79 and nvidia driver does not work together on my workstation for some reason.
- The last generation that works for me is generation 27, so I removed all the newer generations. This works but whenever I type
nixos-rebuild switch, a new generation with kernel 4.19.79 will be produced .
My questions is then:
- What should I do to resolve this problem? Sorry that I do not have much experience debugging nvidia issues.
- If I am willing to live with the old generation, how can I get kernel 4.19.69 back and maybe get rid of all the new generations, pretending the upgrade never happened?
Thanks a lot for your time!