Wallpaper Engine on NixOS (wallpaper-engine-kde-plugin)

Oh. My nix file looks not perfect yet.
I have noticed some points after commenting

• It installs only lib, so you need to install plugin manually.(Originally, the plugin should also be installed)
  • Some wallpaper that worked on ArchLinux does not work on my Nix environment.

Despite the problems, I am somewhat satisfied with current situation. If you find a solution, I world be glad to know.

As mentioned above, it is possible to install the wallpaper plugin if you turn DUSE_PLASMAPKG OFF, but then the following error appear:

Python helper run failed:
python3: can’t open file ‘/home/spp/no_pyext_file_found’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

What I also found out is that in the “About-Tab” of the wallpaper engine settings, their are no pythone3-websocket dependencies found.
Since you installed it manually, is the check mark displayed?

As mentioned above, it is possible to install the wallpaper plugin if you turn DUSE_PLASMAPKG OFF, but then the following error appear

I could not reproduce it. I turn DUSE_PLASMAPKG OFF but build works fine and plugin not installed.

What I also found out is that in the “About-Tab” of the wallpaper engine settings, their are no pythone3-websocket dependencies found.
Since you installed it manually, is the check mark displayed?

Yes.

I have added it here.

Make sure there are no conflicts with python3 installed elsewhere, like this

I copied your config for wallpaper engine one by one and if I set

"-DUSE_PLASMAPKG=OFF"

wallpaper engine gets installed and I do not need to install it manually. But I always get the missing dependencies error mentioned above.

I was able to reproduce your situation after uninstalling plugin that installed manually, and I noticed that the folder com.github.casout.wallpaperEngineKde in ~/.local/share/plasma/wallpapers/ has been deleted.
I checked and nix had installed it on /run/current-system/sw/share/plasma/wallpapers and KDE cannot seem to recognize.

Finally I solved this problem by adding a small script. I would like to know if there is a better way to add the folder in user .local directory.

Thank you so much! It’s working now without any problems.
And I think your solution with the startup script is fine.

1 Like

Hey, that’s awesome! You should make a PR to include it in Nixpkgs!

To do that, I need to fix this problem and do everything in mkDerivation, but have not found a good way😇

anyone knows how to use it on plasma6?

Does this work on plasma 6 under wayland?