Zoom-us - black screen

Hi,

I’ve recently started trying to setup a devel machine with nixos!
I need to use zoom for meetings so I installed the package- zoom-us. Unfortunately the camera doesn’t work and I see only a black screen.

A bit of research revealed some issues with zoom and libturbojpeg in the past so I changed the install to use the lib from the tar (or so I think) instead:

(unstable.zoom-us.overrideAttrs (oldAttrs: {
      installPhase = oldAttrs.installPhase + ''
        rm $out/share/zoom-us/libturbojpeg.so
        cp libturbojpeg.so.0.1.0 $out/share/zoom-us/libturbojpeg.so
      '';
    }))

And though ugly this works! :crazy_face:
So on to my question, on the nix file for zoom, where does “${libjpeg_turbo.out}” come from?

And is it ok to just use this libturbo version which is bundled by zoom in their tar file?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Should the zoom nix package itself copy the libturbo from the tar? Or is there any reason why that would be a bad idea?

1 Like

I also noticed my webcam not working with Zoom on NixOS. I do not see much reason not to do this if it fixes it!

Ryan

thanks @ryantm, I’ll have a stab at a PR then :slight_smile:

1 Like

@tiagolobocastro I don’t experience a blank camera and I’m updated to latest channels as of now.

1 Like

@doronbehar, I guess your camera must be more recent/compatible than mine with TurboJpeg. I’d appreciate it you could try this to make sure it doesn’t break for you.

btw I’ve raised zoom-us: use libturbojpeg from the zoom-us tar itself by tiagolobocastro · Pull Request #94039 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub