2023-03-06 Nixpkgs Architecture Team Meeting #31

Notes

Shepherds for RFC 140

• @roberth as a potential shepherd, but time contraints, pass for now in favor of external participation?

Clean attributes

Module system for packages

Update: @infinisil and @growpotkin and some others paired after the meeting to write down a problem description and discourse announcement in Working group member search: Module system for packages - HedgeDoc

Vendored Rust Cargo.locks:

Should we have a time in the meeting for smaller issues

• @infinisil: Let’s have a 10/15 minute in the beginning?
  • team should bring up issues and PRs as appropriate
  • @roberth: Have a separate meeting to discuss issues/PR’s from project groups
    • @infinisil: I’d have time for another meeting
    • @tomberek: It’s good to have a dedicated work time
  • @roberth: One distracted meeting for smaller issues and monitoring the projects (including RFC 140 and the modules for packages)
    • Separate longer work meetings for each of the projects
2 Likes

Thanks for your work and the report!

3 Likes

Regarding a module-system for packages: I see that it was mentioned in the references section, but was something like extensible attribute sets considered?

My point may be just partly related to a module-system for packages, but ever since @edolstra talked about extensible attribute sets, I’m wondering if we should turn the module system (or an equivalent mechanism) into a language feature.

I can see at least two benefits here:

• with the implementation being completely in Nix, we could save the overhead of interpreting Nix code to resolve a bunch of modules, I guess this would open up an opportunity to optimize the code in terms of performance and memory usage.
  • the error reporting could be way nicer. For instance when I do a --show-trace on an evaluation error now, most of the stack frames are about stuff that’s irrelevant (in my experience, I can be 99.9% sure that my own code and not the module system is at fault in case of an evaluation error :wink: )

Of course there are a bunch of downsides to this approach e.g. currently this would have to be implemented in C++ I guess and would be yet another feature in the Nix core, but I still think it’d be something worth considering.

2 Likes