- Previous action items
- Closing the loop on the
- Drafting an outline for the
@zmitchell: Created documentation categories (PR not yet created). Not sure about what goes where, a lot of loosely categorized tutorials, making the tree deeper would be a better
- @infinisil: Should tutorials be linear or graph-based? How to integrate with the tree structure?
- @khaled: Linear might not make sense, some people e.g. don’t care about NixOS
- @zmitchell: Imo the first steps should be linear, but after that it’s more free form.
- @khaled: Choose your own adventure - style
- @infinisil: Have pre-requisites and next steps linked from the tutorials, in and out-nodes of the directed graph.
- @zmitchell: Django has First Steps with sequential steps, but after that more topic-based docs
- @infinisil: Agree that only first steps linear is good
@zmitchell: In my own learning journey, while moving from poetry to Nixpkgs, struggling with the fact that it’s Flake-based
- @infinisil: Beta docs page?
- @zmitchell,@khaled: Just marking as experimental sounds better
- @infinisil: Beta page allows having a separate self-contained flake sequence, doesn’t show multiple ways of doing the same way
- @khaled: Shouldn’t be interleaved, can be a separate tree node or a link. Having official flake docs is important, it’s time
- @zmitchell: It’s experimental but it doesn’t break enough to scare people away
- @khaled: We should be able to still make breaking changes to it
- @infinisil: Also what RFC 136 is about
@zmitchell: Tutorials, have the
nix-shell -pone, wanted some more useful tooling, iirc jq and curl
@zmitchell: shell.nix tutorial, was on @khaled’s action items
- We don’t have an issue for this yet, created First steps tutorial - shell.nix · Issue #516 · NixOS/nix.dev · GitHub, see also Add issue templates by zmitchell · Pull Request #501 · NixOS/nix.dev · GitHub
- @khaled: Wasn’t sure where to put it, created HedgeDoc - Collaborative markdown notes, will put into the issue
- What should be part of the tutorial
@zmitchell: Probably should remove direnv
- @infinisil: Agreed
@infinisil: Should have nix.dev fetch repositories and integrate their documentation, could maybe also do that with third-party repos like direnv
- @zmitchell: direnv is not nix-specific though
- @khaled: There’s GitHub - nix-community/nix-direnv: A fast, persistent use_nix/use_flake implementation for direnv [maintainer=@Mic92 / @bbenne10] too though
@zmitchell: Regarding fetching the channel
channel:nixos-22.11doesn’t require flakes, nix-channels and it doesn’t require pinning
- @khaled: Requires knowing about channels, flakes?
@infinisil: Flakes still indirectly uses channels via the e.g.
nixos-22.11branch which Hydra updates on successful channel evaluations
@infinisil: Maybe channels should be introduced before this tutorial?
nix-shell -p→ channels →
- DetSys installer leaves
<nixpkgs>is still available, making
@infinisil: Common grounds is that every installation has a
<nixpkgs>available, can use that
- @zmitchell: Where it comes from should also be documented
@infinisil: Currently it sucks because
nix-channelis being deprecated, but the Flake registry has similar impurities
@infinisil: We could use
nix-shell -p hello -I nixpkgs=channel:nixpkgs-unstable
- @khaled: Flake registries seem bad, only the CLI should have it
- Conclusion (@zmitchell, @infinisil, @khaled): Let’s go with the assumption that
<nixpkgs>works in a Nix installation without going into details how it works
- @infinisil: Using
rustcworks fine for a Rust project without managing deps with Nix
- Removed the learning journey project board by merging it into the documentation team project board using a new field “Subgroup”, a new view was created to filter just for learning journey issues: Nix documentation · GitHub
- @khaled: Move HedgeDoc - Collaborative markdown notes to First steps tutorial - shell.nix · Issue #516 · NixOS/nix.dev · GitHub with short notes. Figure out what should be capture from those
- @zmitchell: Continue working on Tracking issue - re-shape current content into a structure based on Diataxis · Issue #499 · NixOS/nix.dev · GitHub