2023-06-05 Documentation team meeting notes #52

Agenda

• updates and unblocking
  • discuss a few recent issues

Notes

• no blockers

Change project's self-description by asymmetric · Pull Request #575 · NixOS/nix.dev · GitHub

• @fricklerhandwerk: Should ask more people for input
    • @infinisil: Let’s ask the NixOS Foundation if they have a problem with that
    • @fricklerhandwerk: Sounds good, though let’s do it later, bad timing right now
  • @infinisil: Alternatively let’s just go for it?
  • (talking about the issue)
    • When is something officially supported?
    • Could be just this list in nix.dev, but we need a process for adding/removing items
    • Can be decided on a case-by-case basis

Rename IFD (import from derivation) to something more appropriate · Issue #8450 · NixOS/nix · GitHub

Discoverability

docs: mention UID issues with login managers by scarf005 · Pull Request #8445 · NixOS/nix · GitHub

• @infinisil: Probably there are a whole bunch more such tiny notes, link to a page with all of them, e.g. guides on nix.dev with a specific tag
  • @proofconstruction: Should have a NixOS option to adjust UIDs’s somewhere
  • @infinisil: Could create nix.dev issue to document this and link to it from the Nix manual (as a markdown comment)
  • @yuki_is_bored: nix.dev FAQ sounds appropriate, lots of such issues, easier to change the manual than the installer
  • @infinisil: We need to accept whatever the installer does and document it the best way
  • @fricklerhandwerk: Nothing particularly wrong with solving that problem, but I wouldn’t merge it myself. Such issues will keep coming up
  • @proofconstruction: Manual shouldn’t be an issue list, should only have the happy path
  • @yuki_is_bored: Depends on system what trouble you run into. Impossible to cover everything
  • @proofconstruction: Definitely better to put this is nix.dev

Information architecture

Improve landing page by yukiisbored · Pull Request #584 · NixOS/nix.dev · GitHub

• reviewed together, merged

Some article or blog post I read a while ago, called every technique that made nix read from nix generated paths as “recursive nix” and qualified where necessary as IFD or whatever.

Personally I considered this unfortunate, as the experimental feature recursive-nix exists as well, which was also considered one of this techniques.

I think it has been in some post describing dream2nix’ early goals, though I can not find it right now.

Personally I do not see much sense in renaming “IFD” to something else, just because it is not only about “import” but anything that creates an additional “eval/realize” cycle.

If at all, perhaps IFR/RFR (Import/Read from realisation).

On top of that I seem to have to say, that IFD isn’t as well defined as I thought…

1. There is the dream2nix manual that marks one of its translators as IFD with a footnote, as its only IFD under certain circumstances
  2. I recently helped someone else to debug their config, and for the first pass I had to use --option allow-import-from-derivation and after that imported drv had been realized I was able to build without allowing IFD for the build, until I changed something that affected the imported derivation.

Especially the later might be considered a bug in either the implementation or the documentation. So far I missed to create a reproducer, as I first didn’t have the time and then forgot about it until reading this meeting notes.

This is exactly what we’ve been looking for.

Would be great if you had a reproducer, that’s surely worth filing an issue.

1 Like