21.05 Call for Release Manager and Release Engineers

I’d like to add that this role is an excellent opportunity to get familiar with the Nix ecosystem and community.

@jonringer is now working at IOHK, after being quite active in Nix community and doing the release management.

It’s important to have good communication skills, as one of the main tasks is to decide how to handle breakages with limited resources and potentially angry users :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Absolutely, thank you. :slight_smile:

I’m sure we will have something going into a release. However, it’s a volunteer organization, whatever we are able to get around to, is what we can do.

I’ll join the Release Engineering Team. I’m considering the RM role.Can we set up a chat?

7 Likes

when zhf is a few weeks out (soon), I’ll probably have two meetings (one for US, one for EU timezone folks). In the meeting I’ll go over the work that is available, and what people would like to contribute; people will be free to pick up as much or as little as they feel comfortable with.

If you want to contact me directly, you can message on discourse, email me, or reach me on discord. Discord I’ll probably be the most responsive, but email and discourse I should get back to you under 24 hours

1 Like

Release Manager and Release Member both abbreviate to RM :wink:

Hm, maybe we will have to rename it to something like “Release Engineer”

2 Likes

Let’s do that. Technically anyone can be part of the release by contributing.

2 Likes

It’s funny that we had a meeting as RMs and now I’m reappointing myself :grin:
Release items I own would be:

• GNOME+Pantheon (packages&modules) and ISO’s
  • Everything Freedesktop related (packages&modules)
    … I probably could find more
3 Likes

Might be a tad specific, but I can work on Astronomy/Astrophotography & GPS related packages. Over the last few months I’ve been adding, updating, and patching packages in those domains on master. The astro stuff is generally “leaf packages” and their astro specific dependencies. GPS on the other hand can be fairly important since many systems use GPSD for timekeeping and obviously for location/navigation.

3 Likes

Hello,

I would be interested to help as a Release Engineer

3 Likes

Definitely interested in joining the Release Engineering Team and helping out with ZHF in general.

5 Likes

Just wanted to add my name to list of Release Engineers as well.

3 Likes

If there are any menial tasks in which I would be more of a help than a hindrance, then I’d like to contribute.

I’ll create and start filling the NixOS/21.05-Blockers project, and I’ll update this thread and send some mail (through discourse) for those who showed interest. I’ll try to set up a meeting at a US+EU friendly time. I’ll try to record it, hopefully my computer doesn’t hate me like with the retrospective. But I will go over the scope of work and items which need to be “eventually” be accomplished. And people should be able to assign tasks to themselves.

Not sure about how ecosystem leaders (e.g. @FRidh @peti) want to be engaged in this. As well as how teams want to communicate. (e.g. gnome)

9 Likes

You can also add me to the list of the release engineers.

3 Likes

I have created a NixOS/release-engineers team on github, and invited the individuals who reached out. One person wasn’t able to join because they weren’t part of the org yet. For that individual, please message me, and I’ll ping some people to get you added to the organization. For anyone else who would like to join, please leave a message here or message me through discourse, and I can add you.

I did some initial work creating some notes for the 21.05 blocker project. I’ll be reviewing the 21.05 milestone and creating some to-do’s if I feel it’s warranted. In a few weeks, I’ll create a community post asking if there is any release blockers, and capture anything I missed there.

I created a google calender invite (trying to fix link) at 2021-03-07T18:00:00Z2021-03-07T18:30:00Z. If someone is opposed to the usage of google meet, I’m open to changing it to jitsi (but they will need to set up the room and invite), I’m just used to google meet. The meeting will go over a high-level overview of the release, potential problems, and how I would like to tackle/track them. I’ll also answer any questions that people have. Anyone is welcome to join.

EDIT:
google meeting room: meet.google.com/bem-csqd-iun

I cannot for the life of me publish a public event on a public calendar… Not sure if I’m doing something wrong or google is doing something wrong, probably both.

6 Likes

Thanks to everyone who was able to join.

Unfortunately the recording didn’t have audio… I guess this is what I get for not ensuring the obs plan b was configured correctly.

The summary of the meeting is:

• Please use the blocker project to add items which are impactful to the release
  • The notes I added can be added converted to issues to have more detailed discussion about a topic. Anyone and everyone is free to add or update items in the project, as so long as it’s a reasonable for the release.
  • There will be a “feature freeze” post done soon to make sure that all language and framework owners are able declare their release requirements
  • Release engineers are free to assign items to themselves.

I will probably Re-record just a smaller video for people who missed it, and include some the questions that were asked.

7 Likes

Could you please add me to the release engineer team under the scope of Qt / Plasma? Thanks!

2 Likes