Announcing tree-sitter-nix

I wrote a tree-sitter grammar for Nix: GitHub - nix-community/tree-sitter-nix: Nix grammar for tree-sitter [maintainer=@cstrahan]

Down the road, we could do some fun stuff, like provide syntax highlighting in nix repl (Tree Sitter tries its best to come up with a sensible parse tree, even if there are errors).

18 Likes

I was thinking about it for a long time, is there a plan to have it included in Atom? Maybe including it in @wmertens extnsion?

I would love to use this instead of my Nix grammar. The Nix grammar canā€™t express the full language correctly because itā€™s only regular expressions.
However, that would mean having tree-sitter support in editors, something that doesnā€™t exist yet it seems :frowning:

However, that would mean having tree-sitter support in editors, something that doesnā€™t exist yet it seems :frowning:

Atom has support, but I donā€™t know about any other editors. Thereā€™s some ongoing work to support tree-sitter in Neovim, though.

I was thinking about it for a long time, is there a plan to have it included in Atom?

Yeah, thatā€™s something Iā€™d like to do eventually.

Iā€™ll note that Iā€™ve pushed some changes that add a pretty decent test suite, fixes a couple bugs, and overhauls the shape of the resulting parse tree (it was pretty verbose before, but now itā€™s very clean).

I think at this point it should be very robust, and I donā€™t expect much churn. Iā€™d love for some people to play around with it and report back. If no one can find some improvements / faults, Iā€™ll cut a 1.0.0 release.

Does it support escaping of dollar in strings ā€˜ā€™$ ?

Nice catch. I just pushed a fix for that in the custom scanner (Iā€™d link to the commit, but it looks like we canā€™t link to github on this setup of Discourse :man_shrugging:).

1 Like

:thinking: just ftr

logged out
on the first post on this thread i see

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.
View hidden content.

logged in
i see

This is the first time cstrahan has posted ā€” letā€™s welcome them to our community!

and

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.
View hidden content.

/ftr

:confused:

Oh yeah. Thatā€™s kinda weird. I saw that my first post, and a subsequent post here, are showing up as slightly grayed out. Bizarre.

I also saw these strange thingsā€¦ on another post too. Something fishy with discourse.

Discourse just plainly hates URLs. It flags posts of new users with them, it loses them in the plain-text parts of emailsā€¦

I started putting together a formatter using this grammar here: GitHub - justinwoo/format-nix: A simple formatter for Nix using tree-sitter-nix.

Itā€™s a simple PureScript Node application using the node tree-sitter bindings.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome! Glad to see the grammar is already proving useful.

Thanks for your contributions and feedback, btw.

1 Like

Hey, while looking at the status of language server implementations for nix, and stumbling upon this project, I think itā€™d be worth mentioning for reference GitHub - bash-lsp/bash-language-server: A language server for Bash which implements a very fast and rather performent language server for bash using a tree-sitter grammer as well. I assume the same could be leveraged for a language server implementation for nix as well.

Current LSP alternatives:

Iā€™ll also note that using a nodejs based language server is easier for Editors to include. Atomā€™s and vscodeā€™s configuration ecosystems are based on Javascript AFAIK and one of Vimā€™s popular LSP client plugins is GitHub - neoclide/coc.nvim: Nodejs extension host for vim & neovim, load extensions like VSCode and host language servers. which uses a configuration system very much like VSCodeā€™s. For example itā€™s sh extension is easily installed with just :CocInstall coc-sh.

2 Likes

I am attempting to package (at least for myself) the neovim version that supports tree-sitter (see Tree-sitter step 1: vendor runtime lib + add lua API by bfredl Ā· Pull Request #10124 Ā· neovim/neovim Ā· GitHub and [WIP] Tree-sitter integration by bfredl Ā· Pull Request #9219 Ā· neovim/neovim Ā· GitHub).
There seems to be a package on npmjs but as GitHub - tree-sitter/tree-sitter: An incremental parsing system for programming tools looked cargo-based, I was expecting a rust package. I also would need GitHub - tree-sitter/tree-sitter-c: C grammar for tree-sitter . I wonder if you had packaged any of this for your tests ? or tell me which one I should use in nixpkgs.

2 Likes

I would like to load your grammar into neovim. Iā€™ve started following Guide to writing your first Tree-sitter grammar Ā· GitHub and trial by error led me to this command line nix run nixpkgs.tree-sitter nixpkgs:nodePackages.node-gyp nixpkgs:python27 but then it doesnā€™t find /bin/sh . Do you have some recipe on how to generate a module onx nixos from your grammar ? the CI configuration was not very information-heavy either xD

2 Likes

related

2 Likes

Do you know how can we use tree-sitter-nix with syntax-highlighter?

something like add tree-sitter-nix Ā· milahu/syntax-highlighter@617abbf Ā· GitHub
the ā€œgrammarā€ file maps node types to token categories
todo: update package-lock.json, use npmlock2nix or nix-npm-buildpackage,
use tree-sitter from nixpkgs instead of tree-sitter-cli from npm

Assume you know GitHub - nix-community/rnix-lsp: WIP Language Server for Nix! [maintainer=@aaronjanse] but just for others who donā€™t know it to check out :grin: